April 28, 2014

Garden Update: Week 10 (Part 2)

I LOVE MY GARDEN!!!  It's makes me so happy when I see all my plant babies growing up into food or flowers.  It's an awesome feeling especially when you know you grew them.  :)

I have a lot of things to share this week....
Earlier in the week, I had talked about how I had a strawberry that was ripening and I had my first watermelon spout.

Now here's the latest.....

On Thursday, my strawberry was ready to be picked!!

And picked it I did....

And then I ate it.  So yummy!!  :)

That same day, I checked on my peas.  I was so happy to see I had a pea pod that was fat and ready for harvest.  I carefully picked it off the vine and then studied it.  I grew this all by myself from seeds I got at the dollar store.  The peas took off so fast.  I would say they are probably one of the easiest to grow.  I've kept them inside in a sunny window and they are very happy.

I opened my first pea pod....to this amazing beauty.

6 perfect little peas.

I finished off the strawberry and I have saved the pea pod and the strawberry cap.  Not ready to discard them.  I want to save them for my garden book.  :)

I got my first marigold bloom.  Though this type of marigold isn't all fluffy like the ones I grew last year.

My lillies popped.  I got this plant from Lowe's for $3!  It's such a pretty orange.

I had to do some re-potting yesterday.  That took about 2 hours to finish everything I needed to get done.  All the little terra cotta pots are emptied and everything is in bigger containers.

Here's my container garden on the deck.  This is the view I see when I look out the back door. 

Here's another view facing from the side where my grill is.  Those green colored pots sure do pop.  :)

Now inside.....here's what everything looks like....next year I might just skip the little terra cotta pots and grow the spouts in bigger containers like the ones pictured below.  It seems some plants stop growing until they are put in bigger containers.  Probably because they need more soil than what those little terra cotta pots give them.

Remember earlier in the week I mentioned I had a watermelon sprout?  Well that one sprout is now 4 sprouts.  :)  These are going to need to be re-potted soon though.

I had some leftover sunflower seeds that I planted back on April 13th.  They are getting so big each day.  I'm determined to get some sunflowers.  :)

I'm also happy to share with you that I have carnival squash.  Three of them!!  
I planted these on April 13th as well.

My cherry tomatoes are growing.....the one by the window in back is the tallest one.

My aloe plant is strong and healthy.

Today, when I got up, I checked my peas.  I love checking on them to see if there's any that are ready to be picked.  And I had another pea pod ready to be picked.  The pod was much smaller than the first three.
This is now my 4th pea pod.  :)

4 adorable peas that only last for this picture.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment