April 28, 2014

Virginia Roadtrip

This past Saturday, Kristen and I took a road trip.  The destination was Haymarket to go Burnside Farms to check out their "Holland in Haymarket" which was a field of Tulips and a field of Daffodils.

We first stopped off at the Gordon Road Farmers Market.  Kristen had never been and I wanted to show her why it was my favorite place.  We both bought some goodies.  She got a basil plant and another herb.  I bought a squash plant and a lettuce plant.  

The lettuce plant in the middle is the one I bought for $3.00!  :)

We also both bought some salad dressing from Balsamo's Family Kitchen.  It was delicious!!!  I also bought a yummy salad.  I ate it on the way to our next stop.....

We finally made it to Haymarket to Burnside Farms.  We got our passports which was $3 to tour the flowers.  I grabbed a basket and we both walked around taking pictures.

Field of Daffodils

Some Tulips and Hyacinths

So pretty....

We walked around to the barnyard to see the animals.



A horseshoe

A Tom Turkey

Here's some sleeping pigs.  There was a sign that these pigs bite.  I'm glad they were sleeping.

There was also some chickens and some goats.

We then walked over to the Tulip field and took a ton of pictures.  These are my favorites.

This picture of the single tulip was taken by Kristen.  So pretty!  You were allowed to pick the flowers.  The tulips were $1 each and the daffodils were 2 for $1.

Here's a picture of my the Kristen took standing in really big wooden holland shoes.

I picked 5 tulips to bring home.  4 had their bulbs which I replanted.

Pretty red tulip

Some more pictures....



Afterwards we drove back the way we came.  We stopped off at a Market that looked really cute on the outside but once inside it was pretty much a grocery store.  They sold a bunch of Amish related products to that was cool.  We then got back in the car and got to Warrenton where we had lunch at Ruby Tuesday.  Then we thought lets go to Culpeper and then hit up Sperryville.  We stopped at Lowe's to see if they had green pots that I wanted and they didn't so we went on to Sperryville to check out the Big Red Barn store.  It was disappointing because it was now a antique shop.  :(  We drove over where Cooter's used to be and it's now a bakery and the tourist trap across the street sells antique tables which a made daily.  Yeah not really sure how that's antique.  haha  :)  Sperryville was a huge disappointment.  I guess no one goes there in the Spring and it's only open for Fall during apple season?

On the way home we stopped at Miller's Farms to see what they had in stock and then we had some time and went to Stafford to the C&T produce Stand so Kristen could see it.  We also picked up some things there too.  

Here's my bounty.......

Oh....My sister and my niece were in town so we got to spend some time with them that evening.  I had some more pea pods ready and Kristen and Ashley got to try some.  And of course Ellie.  She loved them and wanted more but I didn't have anymore for her.  She might be getting some for her birthday which is upcoming this weekend.  If I don't eat them first.  haha 

Here's E sitting on the step in my foyer.  She was looking at her mama.  :)

It was a fun day but we were both really exhausted by the end of the night.









No comments:

Post a Comment