April 10, 2014

Turkey stuffed Carnival Squash

At the produce stand this past weekend I picked up a Carnival Squash.  I had big plans for it.  Well....not really but I bought it knowing I would make something with it.  I asked the farmer at the stand what I could do with it and she said it's just like an acorn squash.  :)

I googled 'Carnival Squash recipes' and came across this one at FoodMayhem.com.  I was happy to see it was the perfect dish to use leftover Thanksgiving turkey with.  I made a turkey over the weekend to have as our protein for the week so this recipe was perfect for us.  I made it for dinner tonight and it was GOOD!


I used:

1 carnival squash
turkey meat (mostly dark meat and already cooked and chopped)
unsalted butter
brown sugar
1 farm fresh red bell pepper (chopped)
1 yellow onion (chopped)
minced garlic
olive oil
chili powder
black pepper
salt
parsley flakes
reduced fat mozzarella cheese

First, preheat your oven to 375 degrees.  Scrub and wash your carnival squash real good.  Cut it in half.  Scoop out seeds.  Save some to plant!  :)  Place the squash face down on a cookie sheet with foil.  I did put a little olive oil on the inside and outside of squash.  Let it roast for about 30-35 minutes.  It's done when a fork can easily poke through the outside.

Once the squash is finished,  then you can take it out of oven.  Carefully, flip the squash over.  Put in a tbsp of unsalted butter into each half.  And also 2 tsp of brown sugar.  Put in oven for 15 minutes.

While squash is back in oven you can put everything else together.  In a big skillet, add some olive oil with minced garlic.  Once the pan is hot, add your onions.  Let cook for 2 minutes.  Then add your red pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes.  Add turkey meat, black pepper, salt, chili powder, and parsley flakes.

After 15 minutes take out the squash.  Add your turkey chili mixture to the middle.  Sprinkle some cheese on top.  Put in oven for a few minutes for the cheese to melt.  Once melted take out and put on plate.  Sprinkle some black pepper and parsley flakes on top of melted cheese.  Eat and enjoy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment