April 13, 2014

Oven dried Banana Chips

I had 6 bananas that were spoiling.  I didn't want them going to waste so I wondered about making my own banana chips.  I came across this blog for an easy banana chip recipe in the oven from pinterest.

It seemed easy enough so I went ahead and cut up 3 bananas and made them.

Here's the slices after they are done.




3 bananas
fresh lemon juice from 1 lemon
cinnamon (optional)

Preheat your own to 175 or 200 degrees.  Peel and slice your bananas.  (1/4" or thinner).  Lay the banana slices on parchment paper.  Don't let them touch one another.  Juice your lemon into a small bowl.  Dip your fingers in lemon juice and brush each banana slice.  Sprinkle some cinnamon on top.  
Bake them for 1 1/2 to 2 hours until dried.

After 3 hours my banana chips weren't even crisp.  :(  I made the mistake of dipping the banana slices into the lemon juice.  I think it gave them too much liquid.  The lemon juice keeps the bananas from turning brown so it only needs a little bit.  I will try making these again and not dipping the slices in the lemon juice.  They are still good, they are just softer than I wanted them to be.  I am storing them in a tupperware container and have them in the fridge.

With the other 3 bananas I had I cut off the ends, and cut them in half lengthwise.  Then I put some reduced fat peanut butter on one side.  I sandwiched them back together and wrapped them up in some foil.  Nate can grab one in the morning on his way out the door for a quick breakfast or snack at work.  :)  He got all excited when I told him I was gonna put those together for him.  He loves peanut butter and bananas.   Who doesn't right? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment