June 27, 2011

Paula Deen's Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken

I found a delicious recipe for fried chicken the other day. I'd never tried making fried chicken before but I figured I could give it a shot.

Spicy Buttermilk Fried Chicken
Makes 4 to 6 servings

1 quart of buttermilk
1 tbsp hot sauce
1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 (4 to 5 pound) whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces

2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ground red pepper
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp seasoned salt

Peanut oil for frying

1. In a large bowl, combine buttermilk, hot sauce, and 1 1/2 tsp seasoned salt. Add chicken pieces; cover and refrigerate for at least 8 hours or up to 24 hours. Drain, discarding butter mixture.

2. In a shallow dish, combine flour, garlic salt, red pepper, onion powder, and 1/2 tsp seasoned salt. Dredge chicken in flour mixture, and place on a wire rack. Let stand on wire rack for 15 min.

3. In a large cast-iron skillet, pour oil to a depth of 3 inches; heat to 350 degrees.

4. Fry chicken pieces, in batches, for 12 to 15 minutes per side or until a thermometer inserted in thickest portion registers 165 degrees. Drain on a clean wire rack over paper towels.

For mine.......I used boneless chicken breasts. I also didn't have garlic salt so I just used some minced garlic. Not sure if that mattered or not. When I cooked my chicken in my skillet all the breading came right off. :( I was so mad and I was cussing out Paula Deen. LOL I don't know why this happened. And what seemed like forever but was only really a half hour the chicken was finally done. It tasted good and juicy. It tasted just like fried chicken but without the skin. I was disappointed b/c of the skin coming off and I don't think I'll try to make this again. I don't think it was worth doing all the steps if the skin was all just gonna come off while cooking. At least I tried. I'll stick with oven baked shake n bake. :)

10 comments:

  1. sorry it didn't work out. the pioneer woman has a really good one i have made before and the breading doesn't fall off. yum!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i still think it's a win-win - fried chicken taste, without the fried chicken calories! you might have stumbled upon genius! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @A thanks.....

    @K haha.....just maybe LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. The reason the breading came off was you did not use some kind of binding between the chicken and the breading. Try using some binding like egg or buttermilk. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Anonymous. :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. AnonymousMay 14, 2013

    why does it look so perfect in the picture if the skin came off? is that the real picture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi! The picture is what the chicken should have looked like but mine didn't turn out like that.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I tried a similar recipe recently (yesterday) using chicken tenderloins. The key to getting the flour to stick is to allow the chicken to sit for about 30 minutes after dredging it in the flour. I got this tip from Good Eats with Alton Brown. Good Luck

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't believe that the flour of yesterday is the same as flour of today, so to speak. Never did we have to have a binding in order for the flour to stay on chicken. I have a problem with that with anything I fry today, which isn't often. Just every now and again you want some good old fried chicken or fried pork chops!

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Foodie Inspiration- Thanks so much for the tip. :)

    @Brenda- Thanks for your feedback. :)

    ReplyDelete