March 20, 2016

Chicken, Broccoli, and Brown Rice Casserole


I came across a post on the Cooking light facebook page about a Chicken, Broccoli, and Brown Rice Casserole.  I checked out the recipe here and figured I could make this but in my own style.

For mine you will need:

2 Chicken breasts (cooked and cut)
broccoli (washed, cut)
1 1/2 cups almond milk (unsweetened)
3 tbsp flour
small onion (chopped)
brown rice (cooked, I did just a cup)
shredded cheese (3/4 cup)
salt
pepper

Since I meal prep on weekends I have most items ready to go if I need to assemble a dish last minute. For example, I have my chicken and rice already cooked.  And my broccoli or other veggies are washed and chopped up.  This makes it easier when you come home from work from a long and busy day and you don't feel like cooking.  You can just grab what you want and heat it up.  
But sometimes you want a delicious dish that doesn't take long to make either.  And this is that dish.  I have made it several times now.  It's one of our favorites.  :)

To make this dish:

In a big pan, on medium heat combine the flour and milk and stir until smooth.  Add the onion and cook until everything becomes thick and bubbly.  Then add in your chicken, and broccoli.  Let cook up for a few minutes then add your rice last since it's already cooked.  Sprinkle in the cheese.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Let cook for a few for minutes until cheese is melted and everything is combined and hot.  You could put in the oven if you want.  I don't.

You could use quinoa instead of rice if you'd like or different veggies.  Make it your own to what flavors you love.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment