July 8, 2012

Bff Day

Yesterday, I got up at 7am so I could leave my house at 8am to spend the day with my BFF, Kristen.  :)

First things first.  We wanted to check some places off our list of places we or I have never been to before.

First stop.....

I had heard from a guy at work that this place is awesome, so I knew it was a place we needed to check out.  It has nothing to do with Christmas which makes the name funny.  Kristen had never been and wanted to check it out too.

We saw these umbrellas that actually hook onto your beach chair for $10.  Pretty awesome but I'm not going to the beach anytime soon so I knew I didn't NEED this.  :)

We saw this cute trellis that you could put in your garden.  It was $20 tho and I thought that was a little pricey.

Now these little trellis' are better priced.  haha  :)

Real plants.....

Cute gardening hat that I liked but wasn't that in love with.  It was only $7.

We saw these cute herb jars.  Basil, parsley etc seed packs came in the jars so you could start an herb garden.  I think they were $3 or $4 each.
I didn't buy anything.  Kristen got a drying mat for $6 and a pair of garden scissors for $1 so Dave doesn't use her nice kitchen shears for cutting plants.  I think that's all she got?


Next up, we went to Trader Joe's.  I took a picture of the front of the store but for some reason it wasn't on my camera when I checked my pictures.  :(

Anyways, when you walk in and grab a cart there is a big painted mural on the wall of the Virginia State Capitol building.  There are murals all about the store which I thought was pretty cute.

We stopped off and checked out these artisan breads.  Kristen got a sourdough and I got the roasted garlic. They smelled so good that we couldn't resist.  :)  I think the roasted garlic will go perfectly with Spaghetti I'm making for dinner tonight.  :)

Kristen pointed out these jars.  mmmm....bruschetta sauce.  :)

Cherries.....oh why must you be so expensive?

Egg section.....I love the Humpty Dumpty guy.  When I was little, I had a little squared pillow with a picture of Humpty Dumpty on it.  I took that pillow everywhere with me.  It was my safety pillow and my most prized possession.  I loved that thing.  The picture of Humpty Dumpty faded overtime and it was well loved.  It was so well loved that it didn't make it.  :(  I remember a small piece of him being left but I don't remember what happened to it.  (probably thrown out)  I will always remember that pillow though and this little Humpty Dumpty guy reminded me of him.  :)

Some basil plants....

We saw chopped frozen cilantro, garlic and basil in the freezer section.....

How awesome?  (I did this the other day with my basil).

Frozen pineapple tidbits....yum.

Chocolate covered bing cheeries.....MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM  :)

Pasta.....

Snacks....


Coffee....all the containers were awesome.

Kristen decided to get some Kona coffee for Dave.  You pick out the coffee you want, take the lid and seal off and then put in the coffee grounder to grind.  After it's done grinding you fill the tin can back up, put on the lid and there you go.  It smelled so good.

 We saw these Seaweed chips and I got a package to try for New things Monday.  :)

Here's my purchases (minus picture of  seaweed chips).  I got the loaf of bread, seaweed chips, and the black Trader Joe's tote bag.  While I was checking out I told the cashier that this was my first time in a TJ's and she ran over and got me a reusable bag for FREE.  Awesome!  :)

We were looking for little bottles for a project we were doing later in the day.  We stopped in at Penzey's for bottles and the cashier told us to try Ellwood Thompson's.  We both had never been and were excited to see what type of grocery store it was.


They had some cute seed packets at the front.  We managed to find the bottles we needed.  They were $1.29 a piece and we both bought 4.  We did a quick scan of the place.  Wasn't really our cup of tea.  Everything is organic.  The grocery carts made me laugh.  At least the ones I saw.  It's a basket on top of a thing with wheels on it.  I guess when you go you don't buy a lot of things at once b/c not much will fit in just a basket.  LOL  It was a cute store.

By this point we were hungry for lunch.  We were in Carytown so we decided to eat at Coppola's Deli. 

Kristen treated me to lunch.  Thanks Kristen!  :)  I got 'The club' with no ham and Kristen got 'The barnyard".  Which was kinda like the club but no bacon.  LOL  We both had sea salt potato chips that I LOVED and I had a water, while K had a diet coke.  :)

Here's my sammich and chips.  :)  YUM!  :)

 Next up, dessert of course.  I wanted a cupcake....and not just any cupcake.....a REALLY GOOD CUPCAKE.  Kristen suggested Pearl's cupcake Shoppe.


They look delicious.....I treated Kristen to a cupcake and water.  :)

I got the cookies and cream....

K got the carrot cake.....We ate them in the car.  OMG.....This place is on the top of my list.  Local cupcake places in my town that I tried, I find really dry and not that good.  THIS WAS A REALLY GOOD CUPCAKE!  :)  I will be back.  :)


We finally got home....and it was time to being project number 1.  :)

No, we aren't drinking these.....We are making our own Vanilla that Kristen found here.

Remember the little bottles we bought at Ellwood Thomposon's (above)?  Well we got them for our Homemade Vanilla.  Of course, it won't be for 3 months or so till we're ready to bottle them but these are perfect for the vanilla.  Kristen even found some cute Martha Stewart labels at Staples that we're going to make for the bottles.  :) 

All you need to do is slice your vanilla bean all the way down from end to end to expose the beans.  It's a sticky job, but someone's got to do it.  :)


Then for the vodka size we got we put 4 sliced vanilla beans in each.  :)  Store in a cool dark place for 3 months.  Be sure to shake it up every once in a while.  I've got mine stored in my basement bathroom.  It's cool and dark down there so it's perfect.  I shook it this morning just to check and it's already a light brown color.

Project number 2..............was to make a bird feeder that Kristen found from here.


This was a fail on the 2nd plate and bowl.  They were the same plates, just a different design and the drill would not go through them.  We're guessing the blogger made several and the one that worked for us (same as blogger) was the only one that worked for her too.

We followed the directions on the blog exactly.  The bowl was very wobbly.  If a bird sits in it to get food it will move and the bird will fly away and the food will fall out.  Kristen glued the pieces on the bottom so we could get the bowl to stay straight.  We filled the bowl with Hershey kisses to give the bowl some weight and we hung it on a kitchen cabinet so the glue would dry.  We'll see what happens.  We still call this project one of those pinterest fails.  :)

For dinner, we got Little Caesars.  I bought it since Kristen paid for lunch and for the project supplies.  Our husbands hate the pizza.  Nate hates it with a passion and always makes fun of it.  He thinks is gross.  It's funny any time we have it (rarely) it always brings the husbands in from the other room begging for some pizza or crazy bread.  MMMM HMMMM.....  LOL

It was a fun filled day!  Thanks Kristen for all the fun projects, laugh and for being my BFF.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment