December 6, 2014

Norfolk 2014

We went to Norfolk, VA on November 22nd.  Nate was running in the Harbor Lights Half Marathon.  This was run #2 of 4 back to back runs.  haha

Once we got into town we went right to the expo so Nate could pick up his packet info with his bib.

Afterwards, we walked around outside to kill some time before we could check into our hotel.  We saw the USS Wisconsin which is ported here.  This was fun to see.  My Grandfather had just passed away a few days prior to this trip.  My grandfather made some of the missile launchers on the Wisconsin in the large square boxes on the main deck.

We decided to find somewhere to eat lunch.  We walked several blocks and found this cute little bistro.  Lots of winner banners so it's gotta be good right?

I got a burger with fries.  It was yummy.  :)

We finally got to the hotel.  Our friends, Kristen and Dave arrived shortly after us.  They decided to join us on the trip.  We checked into the hotel and we should have checked out 3 hours prior.  Nate reserved our room for the date before.  UGH!  Luckily, there was some rooms available but we lost the money on the reserved room and had to pay for the additional room.  :(  SUCKS!  We will def never make this mistake again.  Always double check dates.

We had a nice view from our hotel room of the harbor.

If you look closely you can see a rainbow on right.  :)

Here's the view at night.

We decided to have dinner at the hotel restaurant.  There was a parade going on in the town and we didn't want to get caught up in parade traffic.  Nate wanted a steak and baked potato and that's what he ordered.  This is his day before run meal.

Here's Nate being goofy while waiting for food to come.

I ordered a salad with some ranch dressing and some sliders.

It was too much food for me so Nate helped finish it.

The next morning. we got up early for the run.  I took a picture of Nate all ready to go.

Then I waited in lobby for Kristen and Dave.  When it was start time we went out to cheer on the runners as they started their trek.

Here's Nate running by.

I ran up to the next block and surprised him coming around the turn.

Kristen, Dave and I went into the hotel and had breakfast.  They had hotel buffet and I brought down my dry cereal, banana and water from my room.  We waited it out since we knew we had about 2 hours before we'd see Nate again.

We headed out to the front of the hotel when we figured Nate would be running by for mile 12.  A few minutes later he ran by.  He looked tired.  After that went through the hotel to the back by the harbor to catch Nate for the 4th time.

Here's Nate.  He took off his gloves and handed them to Kristen because he didn't need them anymore.

Nate did good.  He beat his best time by 15 seconds making a new record.  :)

Nate took a shower and I packed and then we checked out and all headed for home.
When I got to the car I realized my Amish Quilt was missing.  I looked every where.  I went back into the hotel and even went back to the room to search for my quilt.  It was no where to be found.  The desk clerk called the head maid and asked if they had anything in laundry and she said no.  I left my info at the front desk about the quilt.  The desk clerk said she would call if they found it.  I was devastated.  I love this quilt.  I've had it for a long time and I always cuddled with my Harley in it.  I was very upset and I was in tears as we headed home knowing it might be lost forever.

About 30 minutes down the road, I got a call.  It was the hotel and they found my quilt.  Nate turned the car around and we both cried happy tears.  They found it!!!  :)  Apparently, I dropped the quilt when I went to my room and didn't notice.  (I was carrying my things and Nate's to our room.  Nate was in the lobby talking to a future bride who's wedding he will be photographing).  A maid picked it up and threw it down the laundry shoot.  The quilt got washed and dried.  The quilt was pulled out of the dryer and a maid remembered the front desk had just called them 30 minutes prior looking for this quilt.  I was so happy they found the quilt.  I gave the maid a few bucks thanking her.  :)

That ended on a happy note.  Thank goodness.  I'm so relieved they found it.

Random.......So, I have an obsession with collecting soaps and shampoos from hotels.  I can't be the only person who does this.  haha  Look at my lovely collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment