June 17, 2014

Homemade Mini French Loaf

For dinner tonight, I made a pork loin, homemade mashed potatoes and roasted green beans.  The potatoes and green beans were both farm fresh.
When I talked to my husband earlier today to tell him what I was making for dinner, he asked if we had any biscuits.  I told him no.  Now that I think about it there might be some biscuits in the freezer but who knows how long those have been in there.  I'm sure they have freezer burn and need to be thrown out.

Anyways, I looked up the french farm loaf I've made plenty of times and thought I could bake up just one small loaf for dinner.

Here's the loaf fresh out of the oven.

Golden brown

I had to break off a piece and look at the inside.  MMMMM  I tasted the bread and it was awesome.

Preheat oven to 425 degrees and spray a baking sheet with some pam spray.

In a liquid measuring cup mix together the following:
1 cup warm water
1 and 1/2 tsp sugar
1 packet of rapid rise yeast

Set aside and let proof for 5 minutes.

In a large bowl mix together the following:
2 1/2 cups unbleached flour
1 tsp salt

Once the yeast is proofed you can whisk it into the flour mixture until combined.  I then added about another 1/2 cup of unbleached flour.  I put some flour on the counter and took the dough out of bowl and then started to knead.  Once it was kneaded to my liking I started shaping the dough into a loaf.  I placed the loaf on the baking sheet and then made some slits with a knife.  I also brushed on some olive oil on the entire loaf. Bake in the oven for about 25 to 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment