August 15, 2014

Maple-Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrots

At the farm stand the other day I picked up two small butternut squash.  I have never ever made anything with it or even tasted butternut squash.  I came across this recipe for maple-roasted butternut squash and carrots.  The directions were easy and it sounded yummy.  I didn't know what type of protein to serve with it but then I decided I would make some andouille sausage to go with.  It was tasty!!!



Preheat oven to 425 degrees

You will need:

-One large or 2 small butternut squash (peeled, seeded and cut into cubes)
-carrots (I used a small organic bunch....peeled and sliced)
-olive oil
-sugar free maple syrup
-nutmeg
-cinnamon (optional)
-ginger (optional)
-sprinkle of brown sugar (optional)
-bacon bits (optional)

To make:

In a bowl, mix together everything until it's all coated.  Add mixture to a pam sprayed and foiled lined baking sheet.  Spread everything out so it's evenly on the pan.  Roast for 30 to 40 minutes.  Make sure to turn half way.  Your house will smell wonderfully while this is cooking.  I heated up some andouille sausage and sliced it up and served with my butternut squash and carrots.  It was really good.  A little sweet and a little spicy from the sausage.  OMG yum!  :)  I would say you could even serve this at breakfast if you wanted to.



If you're like me and never tried butternut squash or ever made it.....then read this.  It's step by step instructions so you know exactly how to peel, cut and slice your butternut squash.

Some other butternut dishes I want to try:





No comments:

Post a Comment