August 6, 2014

How to Freeze Corn on the cob

Last week, I got 4 ears of corn from a co-worker.  I gave 2 to my BFF to enjoy this past weekend.  I still had 2 ears left that I hadn't cooked yet.  I got 4 more ears today.  I thought about giving them away and then I thought to myself "why not freeze the corn"?  I went to google and then to pinterest and found a few ways to freeze corn.  Here's one way.

First, take the husks and silk off the corn.

Here's the pile of husks and silk.

Here's the corn all clean.

Boil some hot water in a large pot.

Once the water is boiling, carefully add the cobs.

Put a lid on the pot and letthe cobs boil for 5 to 6 minutes.


While the corn is cooking in the boiled water, make an ice bath in a large bowl.

After about 5 or 6 minutes of boiling, carefully take out the cobs and add to the ice bath.

The cobs cool almost immediately.  You can freeze the cobs whole or cut off the corn.  I found where someone commented on a blog I came across that they use a bundt pan to get the corn kernals off.  
I got out my pan and figured I'd give it a try.

I gave it a try.  It sort of worked but the cob was way to big to fit and I couldn't get it to budge.

I decided to just use a knife.  That seemed to be the easiest way for me.

I went ahead and cut off the corn on all the cobs.

I did 2 ears per ziploc freezer bag.

I read another comment that someone uses a straw to suck out the air in the ziploc bag.  
I figured I would try this too.

This actually does work....but not 100%.  It didn't take all the air out of the bag but it does do pretty good.

Here's the 3 bags, ready to go into the freezer.

And you're done.  Store flat in freezer.  This should be good for 2 to 3 months.

Now instead of using canned corn as a side, I can pull out a bag of this delicious farm fresh sweet corn and heat it up and serve as a side.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment