August 25, 2014

Homemade Chicken Soup

When you're sick there's nothing better than homemade chicken soup!  Right?.....right!  When I went to the farmers market this past weekend I had it in my head that I would make some chicken soup so I made sure I picked up everything I wanted to throw in the soup.  I know it will help me feel better.

I stayed home today b/c I'm sick.  I've pretty much vegged all weekend (after my work event on Saturday) and watched Netflix.  I finished the Tudors series and I watched a few movies and started a new series "Call the Midwife".  It's an interesting show....it surely has some sad and very emotional scenes.  I had to get off the couch and do something.  I figured the soup wasn't going to make itself so I got to it.

I washed and chopped all the veggies.  I also baked the chicken in the oven while I was prepping veggies.

I used:

1 Broccoli head
2 green bell peppers
2 squash
2 zucchini
1 carrot
potatoes (from my garden)
celery
reduced sodium chicken broth
chicken bouillon
salt
pepper
red pepper flakes
parsley flakes

I peeled and chopped the carrot for the freezer, the extra broccoli head, green beans and the leftover celery.  Nothing goes to waste.  I figured since I wouldn't use up the leftover veggies right away that the freezer was the best place for them before they spoiled.  I put everything in freezer bags and sucked the air out of the bags with a straw.  BEST TRICK EVER!!!

 I put everything in the crock pot and cooked on high for several hours.

The soup was delicious and it did indeed make me feel a little better.

No comments:

Post a Comment