July 1, 2013

Pumpkin Seed planting and Zucchini #4

I'm on stay-cation this week.  It's nice to take time off from work and do nothing.  I have stuff planned to do around the house and one of the things I wanted to do today was plant something I couldn't plant last year.

Last year, when I looked for pumpkin seeds a worker at a garden store told me the best time to plant pumpkins in Virginia are 4th of July week.  I saved seeds from my pumpkins last fall and I figured I would save them to plant during the week of 4th of July.

Here's the pumpkins seeds.  I saved 'Pie pumpkin' and 'Jack pumpkin' seeds.

I then went to the shed and got my seeds and pots ready.

I planted a few pie pumpkin seeds in the bigger pot and then the a few jack pumpkin seeds in the two smaller pots.

I checked on my container garden to make sure everything was good.  I noticed one of my zucchini plants was leaning over so I staked the plant.  Then I noticed that there was a zucchini ready to be harvested.  It snapped right off.  This is zucchini number 4.  :)  I have 2 more on the plant that will be ready in a few days.

Here's my freshly picked zuke.

Beautiful growth... 

In case you were wondering what type of soil I use.....
I use Miracle Gro potting mix for container gardening.

The other day I asked Nate to pick me up a bag of soil and he got me this moisture control container soil.  I haven't used it yet but I will.

After my pumpkins were planted I brought them inside and watered them.  I'm going to start them inside until I feel they are ready to be put outside since I'm starting them from seed.  With the bad summer storms we get in Virginia I want the plants to be stronger and fuller until I put them outside.  And I will know they are safe inside.  :)

Here's the pots.  Now grow little seeds.  I want some PUMPKINS!  :)


Remember my tomato rock I painted??

I decided to paint a pumpkin on this little rock.  :)


2 comments: