July 14, 2013

Garden Update: Day 142

It's a HOT and Humid day but it's sunny and plants love sunshine.  :)  I decided to give my plants a good check over since I wasn't able to for the last couple of days since I've been busy.

I was looking all around and in the squash plant I discover probably my biggest squash harvest so far.  This guy was hiding under a huge leaf.  It's crazy how fast these plants produce the veggies.  Meet squash number 5 so far for the season.

Here's possibly squash number 6.  He's not quite ready yet so I will leave him be for now.

I checked my zucchini plant.  And there's 1 zuke that I see that's growing which will be number 6 too.  :)

I grabbed my bag of potatoes from the pantry so I could plant them.  These are store bought potatoes that I got probably a month ago.  All the potatoes have eyes on them so I figured I would plant them today.

I went to my shed and emptied the bag on my potting table.  Here's the 12 potatoes all with eyes ready to be planted.  I've planted potatoes before.  Read about it here.  I decided to try planting with the whole potato this time b/c I saw it can be done that way too.  Hopefully, it won't take 111 days but it will still be exciting.

I am using the biggest container I have available.  It's not the best but I believe it will work for the potatoes.  I can always replant later once the plant starts growing.

I put some potting soil on the bottom.

Then I added 8 potatoes.  I decided to do 8 to see how it does.  I can separate them into other pots later once the plants start coming in.  Then I covered with more soil on the top.

I had 4 potatoes left over and I was out of soil from the big bag.  I still had the small bag of moisture control soil that Nate picked up for me so I figured I would use it for the last 4 potatoes.  I put a little bit of soil on the bottom of each pot.

I then put 1 potato in each pot.

Here's a close up of them.  Eyes up or pointed out.  Then cover with soil to the top line of the pot.

Here's my soil and my shovel.  (It's actually a cat food scooper that I've had for a long time.  I think it came free with cat food one time and I don't scoop cat food so I've just always used it as my soil shovel.  I like it b/c you can get big scoops with it).  :)  If I get a ton of potatoes I might give the little pots away or sell them on craigslist.

Oh while in the shed, I had a huge scare.  Something came in buzzing real loud and then I realized it was a hummingbird.  I think it was cussing me out b/c the feeders were empty.  LOL  So, I looked at the feeders and there was a hummingbird hovering and then flew away.  So, I brought the planted potatoes to the deck to sit in the container garden.  After a quick water break I filled the hummingbird feeders.  Now I hope the hummingbirds come back.

Here's the container garden now.  I've had to move some of the plants out b/c they are getting big.  I also moved the rose plant so I could sit the small potato pots on the crate to keep them up higher.  You can't see the big potato pot but it's back behind the tomatoes.

At the back.....here's the potatoes sitting behind the tomatoes and next to the marigolds.  I need some more marigolds.  Marigolds are good for potatoes too.  Keeps enemy bugs away.

Here's the little potato pots.  :)  Everyone has been watered so now we wait.  :)

Inside.....here's my red peppers, grape tomatoes and pumpkins growing.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment