October 28, 2015

Orange Cranberry Sugar Cookies

I did some baking last week.  I wanted to make something that I could use my pure orange extract in.  I came across this recipe.  It looked easy enough.  The only item I needed to make the cookies was an orange.  I had everything else already on hand.

You will need:

3/4 cup unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks....softened)
1 cup sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup of craisins (50% less sugar)
1 tsp orange zest
1 tsp pure orange extract

Orange sugar:
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp orange zest
little bit of orange extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  In a large bowl, mix the butter and sugar until fluffy with a hand mixer.  Add egg and mix.  In a small bowl, mix the flour, baking soda, and baking powder with a fork until combined.  Add dry mix to the butter mixture.  It will become dry-like.  Just keep mixing until it's all combined.  Fold in the craisins, orange zest and orange extract.  
Chill dough while you make the orange sugar.

My favorite part of this recipe was making the orange sugar.  I added a little orange extract to mine.  I mixed with a fork until everything was mixed and fragrant.

Orange Sugar

Shape your dough into balls and roll into the orange sugar to coat.  Add dough balls to a pam sprayed cookie sheet.  Take the bottom of a shot glass and slightly flatten each dough ball.  I got almost 2 dozen all together.  I just depends how big you roll the balls into.

Bake the cookies for 10 to 13 minutes until golden.  Mine took about 12 minutes.  Cool on wire rack.

The orange zest and orange extract shine through in these cookies.  The cranberries are a perfect addition with the orange.

These were delicious.  I loved them and I will bake them again.

I put 2 cookies each in a clear bag and tied tightly with a ribbon.  I sold them for $1 a package at the craft show I did with my BFF.  I had some samples on the table and customers loved them.

No comments:

Post a Comment