June 5, 2013

My Dads Garden and the 2013 Cicadas

I was off work today and I spent some time at my parents.  My dad was excited to show me his garden and I took a bunch of pictures for him so he could e-mail them out to my Grandparents and his siblings.

The other day my dad saw a strawberry plant growing.  He hadn't planted it but he was excited that it was growing.

The little pinkish reddish blossoms are the berries.  :)

Here's a full view of my dads garden.  He got flowers, carrots, squash, zukes and tomatoes growing.  I gave him some of the seeds I had left that I didn't plant.

Here's a small pink rose bush my mother had my dad plant for her.

More pictures of the veggies....

Tomatoes

Carrots

My dad also mentioned his bluebird eggs have hatched.  If you look real close you can see the mother bird poking her head out of the bluebird box.  :) 

If you live on the East Coast then you know it's the year of the 17 year Cicadas.  I love these bugs!  They are awesome to listen to and the flutter around all funny.  I think they are cool.


These cicadas are mating.  These particular cicades come up every 17 years to mate, lay eggs and then die and it starts over again in 17 years.

I took a video of the sound.  So, if you'd like to hear what Cicadas sound like here you go.  The more trees around you (like at my parents) the louder it is.  I like when one that's close by does its mating calls.  It makes me smile every time because it's just funny sounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment