June 23, 2013

Garden Update: Day 121

First let's take a look inside at my plants I have growing.  I have a red pepper plant, carrots, and grape tomatoes.

-Day 121 for the grape tomatoes
-Day 78 for the carrots
-Day 58 for the Red Pepper plant (this is from the day I started it, it was a starter when I bought it)

My peppers are doing great!  I need to move them into a bigger pot soon because once the peppers get big it will topple the plant.  Currently, I am out of container soil and need to pick up a few bags sometime this week.  I have some things I will be planting the first week of July.

Look at all those baby peppers and blossoms.  :)

Growing so great inside.....and all protected from those nasty horned caterpillars.  :)

So.....my plan today was to pull up my carrots so I did.

Yey......I have carrots but they are the tiniest little things I've ever seen.  LOL

I put the tiny carrots in the compost pile in my backyard.  I figured the birds or rabbits might enjoy them.  They didn't look appealing and they are just so tiny.  They did still grow though and that makes me happy that I grew them.  The leaves are very beautiful on them.  I think using the plastic soda bottle was just too small for them.  They needed much more room to probably grow right.

Here's what my garden inside looks like now.  Just my red peppers and grape tomatoes.  :)


Now.....I mentioned yesterday on my update that today I would be digging up my potatoes to see if there's anything there.  I was disappointed when I woke up to rain this morning.  But luckily, it had stopped raining and dried up a little bit so I was able to head out and dig up the plants.

I carried the potatoes over to my compost area.  My compost area is just where I dump extra soil, or dead plants.  It's an an area where we used to have a swing set.  Eventually, if I can save up enough money I want to build a Greenhouse in this place.  It would be the perfect place and the best part it will keep the bugs and small animals away.  One can dream right?  :)

Back to the potatoes......I took the stakes out and dumped the pot over.  I wore an old pair of gloves and moved the soil around and to my surprise....a potato.  OMG I got so excited.  :)

I dug around in the soil and found 7 potatoes in total in a range of sizes.  :)

I took them inside and showed Nate.  He thought it was awesome.  I washed them all off and now I gotta plan a meal to cook them in.  :)

Here's the compost pile with the soil.

I put my container, stakes and gloves in the shed for the next potato planting.  Once it's sunny and dry out, I'll rinse the stakes and container and get them all clean to reuse.

Here's the plants in my outside container garden without the potato pot.

Lots more blooms on the tomato plants.

My Marigolds are doing beautiful.  Marigolds are great companions for Potato and Tomato plants.

An update on my avocado pit.  Roots have been growing from the bottom for a few weeks now.

I turned it over so you could see the roots.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment