January 30, 2015

Make your own Cake Mixes

The other day, I decided to make my own cake mixes.  I found this blog to make your own.  It's not that hard to do and is much better for you than those box mixes.  Better because you don't need all the ingredients that are listed on the cake mix box.  A cake mix is just flour, sugar and baking powder.  That's it....nothing more.....nothing less.

Here's the ingredients of a name brand classic yellow cake mix.

Wheat Starch, Salt, Dextrose, Polyglycerol Esters Of Fatty Acids, Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Cellulose Gum, Artificial Flavors, Xanthan Gum, Maltodextrin, Modified Cornstarch, Colored Withsugar, Enriched Bleached Wheat Flour (Flour, Niacin, Reduced Iron, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin, Folic Acid), Vegetable Oil Shortening (Partially Hydrogenated Soybean Oil, Propylene Glycol Mono- And Diesters Of Fats, Monoand Diglycerides), Leavening (Sodium Bicarbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Sodium Aluminum Phosphate, Monocalcium Phosphate). Contains 2% Or Less O (Yellow 5 Lake, Red 40 Lake).

Why so many ingredients??  Why so many ingredients that are hard to pronounce??  Why are we putting this stuff into our bodies?  I'm not using box mixes from a store anymore.  
I will make my own and know what's in them.

I grabbed my ingredients.

Flour
Sugar
Baking Powder


I also grabbed some clean ball jars and lids to store my cake mixes.


Simple Cake Mix (white/yellow/chocolate)

-2 cups flour
-1 1/2 cups sugar
-1 tbsp baking powder
-1/2 cup cocoa powder (only for chocolate)

Combine dry ingredients and store for later use.

To make cake:

Add 3/4 milk, 1 tsp homemade vanilla extract, 1/2 cup unsalted butter, and 3 eggs (just the egg whites for white cake) to the dry mixture.  Mix until everything is well combined.  Add to a greased pan and bake on 350 degrees.

*8/9 inch round= bake 20-25 min
*13x9 pan= bake 35-40 min
*cupcakes= bake 12=15 min
*bundt pan= bake 45-50 min


Cake mix (white or yellow)

Chocolate cake mix

Ready to put jarred.

I did 2 classic cake mixes and 1 chocolate.

Now they are ready to go when I need to make a cake.  Just grab a jar and mix up with the wet ingredients.  

You don't need to use a box mix.  I made 3 ingredient banana bread already and it tasted wonderfully with this cake mix recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment