January 17, 2015

Homemade Texas Sheet Cake Cookies

Nate wanted something sweet tonight after dinner.  I told him I wanted something too.  I went to my Pinterest and looked under my baking pins to see what looked good.  We don't have Peanut butter, Jelly, fresh lemons, fresh raspberries, cream cheese or marshmallow fluff.  (Nate forgot to tell me to get PB&J from the store today).  Everything, I was finding I had to say NOPE to because I didn't have all the ingredients.  And I wasn't going to the store. haha  
Finally, I came across a recipe for Texas Sheet Cake Cookies.  They looked easy and I had everything I needed to make them.  Plus, it was chocolate on chocolate and that's a winner for us.

If you love Texas Sheet Cake, then you will love these cookies.  They are THAT good.

You will need:

Cookies:
1 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
1/3 cup white sugar
1 egg (I used farm fresh)
1 tsp homemade vanilla extract
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/3 cup flour
1/2 cup semi sweet chocolate chips (melted)

Icing:
1 stick unsalted butter (room temp)
2 tbsp cocoa
3 tbsp milk (I used unsweetened almond milk)
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the dough:

In a large bowl, mix your butter and white sugar until fluffy.  Then mix in the egg and vanilla until combined.  Mix in the baking powder and salt.
Slowly add the flour and mix until combined.  Dough will become thick.
Melt the chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl at 30 second intervals until the chips are melted.  I had to heat on 30 seconds 3x.  Once melted mix the chips into the cookie dough until everything is evenly mixed.  On a pam sprayed cookie sheet, drop dough onto sheet.  Bake for 7-8 minutes until cookies appear to be set.  They will be soft.  Don't over bake them.  Once you take them out put them on a cooling rack to cool.

For the icing:

In a medium sauce pan, combine butter, cocoa, and milk on medium heat until all melted together.  Remove from heat and whisk in the powdered sugar.  Pour over cookies and let the icing set before serving.  (I put some wax paper under the cooling rack to catch the icing drippings).

They look and taste just like Texas sheet cake but in cookie form.  I will make these again!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment