January 15, 2015

Homemade Lemon Butter Cookies

I felt like baking and I wanted to make something new with lemon.  I came across this blog for lemon butter cookies.  It was an easy recipe and the only thing I needed to buy was a lemon.  I got the lemon today when I made a Target Supercenter run this morning.  :)

Here's the cookies.....

You will need:

1 cup butter (2 sticks, unsalted, room temp)
2/3 cup white sugar
1 egg (I used a farm fresh egg)
2 tsp fresh lemon zest (I zested the whole lemon)
1 tbsp fresh lemon juice  (I used more than a tbs.  I also set some aside for a glaze)
2 1/2 cups flour
Powdered/Confectioners sugar


To make:

Preheat oven at 350 degrees.

Beat your butter and sugar until it's nice and fluffy.  Beat in your egg.  Add in your zest and lemon juice and mix in.  Gradually mix in the flour.  Dough will become thick.  Pam spray a cookie sheet.  Roll dough into balls and place on cookie sheet.  Press dough ball down a little and then use a fork to press down to make cross marks.  Dust a little powdered sugar on top of each cookie and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.  Take each cookie and place them on a cooling rack.   Once cool dust some powdered sugar on top of each cookie.






I had some lemon juice leftover and I wanted to use it so I figured I'd make a glaze.

Lemon glaze:

Powdered/Confectioners sugar
lemon juice
yellow food coloring

I used the rest of the lemon juice and mixed in some powdered sugar until it was thick to my liking.  I also added a little yellow food coloring for a bright yellow lemony color.  I drizzled some glaze on top of a cookie, dusted some powdered sugar and tasted it.  I liked it.  The glaze just gives you a little color and a more lemony taste.  (I think I've used the word lemony three times in this post.  haha) 


The glaze will dry in about 5 minutes.

Store the cookies in tupperware.  They won't last long though.  They are very good.  The cookies are nice and soft and they have a perfect amount of lemon goodness to them.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment