May 12, 2014

Garden Update: Week 13 (Part 1)

I figured I would do a garden update today.  Today is the start of week 13.

Here's my lovely container garden this morning.  How beautiful is this garden?  This makes me happy.

Moving on......Here's my red and white potatoes.  The red potatoes are growing in the big red pot.  The plant is getting very big.  My first sprouts of the white potatoes is in the small brown pot.  :)  

I grew all of the potatoes from eyes that had grown on some potatoes that I purposely left in my pantry for weeks to grow so I could eventually replant them.  I've done this three times now and I've gotten potatoes so I know this works.  :)  The best part.....when it's time....dumping over the pot and digging through the dirt to find potatoes.  :)  Read how to grow potatoes from potatoes here.

Here's a close-up of the white potato sprout.

I picked my first squash of the season this afternoon.  :)  YAY!  But you know how you win some and then you lose some?  Well, there was another squash that was on the plant but for some reason stopped growing and rotted on the end.  :(  Maybe it was ready and I didn't pick it in time or it might have gotten damaged from the flood?  Anyways, I took that rotted one off and threw it out.

Here's the good squash.  :)

At work today my news guy brought me some lilac clippings.  My grandma had a beautiful lilac bush at her lake house and my mother actually planted some clippings and has a huge lilac bush every year.  It attracts butterflies and of course bees.  :)  I need more bees to my garden....I haven't seen any bees this year and last year just about every squash and zucchini blossoms had one.  I'm a little worried.  I need bees in my garden.

I planted the lilac clippings when I got home.  :)  I know they will need to be repotted into a bigger container but for now this pot will do until I get a bigger one.

Oh this morning on my way out I saw in my front flower bed that my first iris of the season popped.  :)

Thanks for reading!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment