May 5, 2014

Garden Update: Week 11

This past week we had 3 days of non-stop rains and not light rain but heavy downpours.  I was not happy.  I love rain but not non-stop downpours drowning my garden.

On the evening on the 3rd day I checked my garden and this is how I felt.

All my hard work for nothing.....it was all flooded.  I didn't even get a picture of the mess because I was so upset about it.  I did manage to save some things by covering them real good with foil.  It worked good.

Here's a picture I got this afternoon before I cleaned up, repotted and reorganized my container garden.

I had to dump out water logged pots and watered soil went with it.  

The bell pepper plant.......completely soaked with water.  It's not as bad here since it did dry out a little bit.  But a few days ago it was horrible.

I picked up a new bag of soil while out running errands.  There's nothing like the fresh smell of dirt.  :)

I emptied the soaked soil and washed out the containers.  I loss my beef steak (stake?) toms.  :(

Some of my indoor spouts that I repotted last weekend didn't make it either.  They dried up and died.  Not sure why....they got plenty of water.  Lack of sunshine maybe?  :(  Disappointing but you can't win them all.  I dumped these out too.  No sense in keeping them around.

It took me 3 hours to get everything cleaned up, repotted and reorganized.  WHEW!!!  Some of the plants were okay with a ton of rain.  Like the sunflowers (black pot).  They grew more!!

I replanted the tulip bulbs.

Tomatoes

My tomato plant has blooms.

Basil I picked up today.

My lillies....seemed to do okay in the rain.  

The red potatoes did good with the rain too.

My lettuce wilted....this is what's left of plant after I picked off wilted lettuce.  It should grow back more.

Strawberries were well covered and they survived.

I picked 2 strawberries today.  :)

These flowers drowned....I repotted them....hopefully they will fluff back up.  

My rose plant is doing good.

The bell peppers (terra color and grey pots)......not sure if they are going to make it.  Lots of leaves fell off.

My squash plant seems to be alright.  It got a lot of water....hopefully it will be okay.

Cucumber blooms

I planted the eggplant today.

So, glad to have everything looking good again.  :)  My lavender plant is looking crazy.  (bottom right)

Inside......not much left.

Peas, sunflowers, watermelon, carnival squash, mixed bell peppers, cherry toms and an aloe plant.

Cherry toms

Aloe plant

Carnival squash......with a new sprout!

New carnival squash sprout!

Mixed bell peppers.  I have 2 pots like this.

I picked 4 pea pods for my niece yesterday.  She's already eaten them all.  :)


And today I picked 1 pod and got 4 peas.  :)

My yearly bluebird family is back and they have babies.  While I was outside reorganizing the container garden I heard and saw the parents flying in and out with worms for the babies and they were chirping up a storm.  It was cute!

Now.....NO MORE DOWNPOURS and I'll be happy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment