March 11, 2015

BBQ Pork, Handcut Fries, and Fried Apples

I love cooking and baking!  My husband and I don't go out to eat much.  It's too expensive.  For $20 or $30 we can get a ton of groceries and make several meals instead of just one.  Yeah sometimes we get a pizza or Chinese food but those times are mainly for a special occasion or when we are way too lazy to make something.

Yesterday for dinner we had BBQ Pulled Pork.  I marinated it in the fridge in my crock pot on Monday night with some Amish apple butter BBQ sauce.  I also sprinkled some black pepper, red pepper flakes, and parsley flakes onto the pork.  I got the jar of sauce for FREE from Nate's Amish Half Marathon in Ohio.

Yesterday morning before running errands I put the crock pot together.  I added some water to the pot till it just covered the pork and let the pork cook on high for 8 hours.  After 8 hours I then turned the crock pot down to low.  Throughout the day I checked on the pork and turned it over in the crock.  (The pork was $6 with a $2 off coupon.  $4!  We got dinner and lunch leftovers with it.)

I made my Grandma Runyon's fried apples to go with the pork.

I sliced up 1 honey crisp apple.  To my pot on stove, I added some unsalted butter and brown sugar till it melted.  I then added a squeeze of lime juice (I didn't have lemon), cinnamon, nutmeg, homemade vanilla extract, apple slices and corn starch.  I let it cook on medium until it got thick and bubbly and then turned down to low until we were ready to eat.  The apples went really well with the pulled pork and fries.  Sooooo good.  :)  (paid 5.99 for a bag of 9 honey crisp apples)

I also made some handcut fries.  I just sliced up some gold potatoes and added them to a pan.  I added some olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, red pepper flakes and parsley flakes.  They are a little spicy but I like spice on my fries.  (2 lb bag of potatoes 2.99, used 4, I can get 4 to 5 meals out of the potatoes)

So delicious and cheap!  :)  Yeah you gotta cook it but it's so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment