August 3, 2012

Homemade Blueberry Streusel Scones

I got some fresh blueberries from my friend, Sharon at work the other day.  I went on Pinterest finding and pinning blueberry recipes that I could make with these blueberries.  There were so many recipes.  I came across this blog for scones which took me to this blog.  I'd never made scones before and always wanted to try it so I felt like baking them today.


They was so easy to make and they taste pretty good.  Plus, if you make the streusel to go on top, your house will smell wonderful for hours.  :)


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

For the scones:

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
6 tbsp cold butter (unsalted)
1 cup whole fresh blueberries (rinsed)
1 whole egg
1/2 cup milk (fat free)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla

In a large bowl mix the dry ingredients.  Cut in the chunks of butter.  I used my pastry knife that I got from Crystal last year as part of my birthday gift.  I love this thing.  It's perfect for this.  Eventually, the mix will get crumbly in texture.  Gently, fold in your blueberries.  In a measuring cup mix together the egg, milk and vanilla with a fork and combine until dough forms.  Don't over mix the dough.  Sprinkle some flour on the counter and turn dough out onto the floured surface.  Knead 5 to 6 times.  (Put flour on your hands to keep from sticking to your hands).

Roll the dough into a little ball.  Put dough ball onto your lightly sprayed pampered chef baking stone and press down.  (or use a baking sheet lined with parchment paper)

Mix your streusel topping together with your pastry knife until crumbly.

Streusel topping:

1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup flour
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tbsp butter (unsalted)

Brush your dough with milk.  Sprinkle your streusel topping on top of the dough.  Gently press to keep topping from falling off.  Take a sharp knife and put flour on it and cut your dough into 8 or 10 triangles.  I made 10.  Bake for about 20 minutes at 400 degrees.  Let cool and then eat.  :)

2 comments:

  1. awesome! i am also a scone virgin - but i thought they were really hard to make! now i'm inspired ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought they were really hard too. They are soooo easy. I was surprised at how easy they are. :)

    ReplyDelete