September 10, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes

About a year ago my asked me to make him Fried Green Tomatoes. I had never made them before and told him I didn't know how. So, I kinda 'forgot' about it. And he didn't mention it again. Kristen, made fried green tomatoes earlier this week so I figured I would use her blog as my guide and surprise my dad. :)

I stopped off at a road side farmers stand Wednesday but they didn't have green tomatoes. Yesterday, while at Wegman's I came across green tomatoes. They were rather small but I grabbed 5 and put them in a bag. :)

  • First bowl/tray - 1 cup flour
  • Second bowl/tray - 1/2 cup milk and 2 eggs, whisked together
  • Third bowl/tray - combine 1/2 cup bread crumbs, 1/2 cup cornmeal, 2 tsp. salt, and 1/2 tsp. black pepper
Tomatoes sliced up!
Tomatoes all coated and ready to be cooked.

I put vegetable oil in my skillet and heated it up. Once the oil was hot, I added some of the tomatoes and let them brown.

Once, they were done I drained them on a paper towel and then put them in a tupperware container and took to my dad. I tried one. It was pretty good. I don't know what they are supposed to taste like since I'd never had a fried green tomato before. My dad was very happy with his surprise and said he would be taking them to work to enjoy. I hope he likes them. :)

4 comments:

  1. cool! yeah i'm not sure what they're supposed to taste like, but that means it was hard to mess them up :)

    hope he likes them :) aren't those coating trays so convenient? i always have drippage when i used separate plates when doing coating, so these are perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love me some fried green tomatoes!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Kristen- I love my new pampered chef coating trays. They will be good this winter too making treats, like truffles or bonbons. :)

    @Julia- Thanks! They are pretty tasty! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. any feedback from your dad?

    ReplyDelete