May 9, 2010

Cinnamon Rolls.....

I'd been wanting to make cinnamon rolls for a while. Ever since, I had that 'ooey gooey goodness' from IKEA. (Yes, IKEA makes cinnamon rolls) I have never made anything with yeast before so I figured I'd give it a go. I enjoy reading Julia's blog and she made whole wheat cinnamon roles a few weeks ago. I read thru the recipe and thought I'd give it a go.

Recipes Adapted from Baking Bites

Makes 12 Cinnamon Rolls (or 15 if you make them a tiny bit smaller)

Cinnamon Rolls
2 1/2 tsp (.25 oz) active dry yeast (1 packet)
1/4 cup warm water, about 100-110F
2 cups whole wheat flour (if you have white ww flour, you can use that for all the flour
1- 1 1/2 cup white flour (I used exactly 1 1/4 cups)
1/2 cup sugar
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
1/4 cup butter, melted and cooled (I didn't let mine cool, oops)
1 tsp vanilla extract
3/4 tsp salt

Cinnamon Filling
1/4 cup butter, room temperature
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2/3 cup brown sugar
3 tbsp coarse sugar/regular sugar
1/2 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Glaze
1 1/3 cup confectioners sugar
4-6 tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract

Whisk all glaze ingredients together in a small bowl. Add additional milk or confectioners’ sugar, as needed, to make glaze pourable.
Drizzle over cinnamon rolls while still warm.

I only used white flour....and I realized after I started I didn't have buttermilk. So, I used milk. (oops!!!) I also had a problem getting the dough to rise. After googling my dough rising problems I figured out that it's important for the dough be in a room that's very warm/hot. I had the bowl of dough on top of the oven (which was on) but it just wasn't good enough. So....I put it in my microwave which tends to be very warm. That helped A LOT! :)

I baked them this morning to go along for my dad's birthday breakfast. :)

They didn't turn out like the perfect 'cinnamon roll shape' but I liked them. They tasted good! My nephew, Joseph loved them so much that he ate 2 big ones. :) YEY!!!

4 comments:

  1. My step mom puts her dough in the microwave too. I have never tried that, BUT, I sometimes have problems with my dough rising, so I will have to remember the microwave trick... These look super good, good job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! These are on my list of things to try to make and they look AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. they do look awesome! i totally don't have the patience for waiting for dough to rise! but these look worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies!! :)

    ReplyDelete