April 6, 2013

Indoor Garden update

I went for a Super Target run this morning to get a few items.  While there I wandered over towards the gardening section.  I first passed through the leftover Easter candy and I had to stop and look.  Everything was 50% off!!!  BARGAINS!!!  Yes, please!  :)  I picked up a couple of goodies then found the gardening stuff.  I was going to go to Lowe's, but figured since I was already at Target, I would save myself some time and just get what I wanted from there.  I can't wait till the gardening stuff goes on clearance.  I got some good deals on containers last year at Target.

Once I got home I started re-potting and then setting up my new seeds for growth.
I got 6 plastic pots, a seed packet of big boy tomatoes, a seed packet of marigolds and a gnome.  :)

This is my shed.  I have my little gardening prepping area all set up.

A couple weeks ago, when I got fresh container soil, I put some in a container so it would be easier to fill my pots when I needed it.

Here's my new gnome.  Check out those purple pants!!!!  :)

I picked up my 'rotting' zombie gnome and his stand fell right off.  :(  

I set the zombie gnome in a new place against the tree so he wouldn't fall over and I put the newbie gnome in the middle of the group.

I got a pack of carrot seeds last month and I saw a cute idea on how to plant them.  I took an empty soda bottle and cleaned it out real good.  Then I carefully cut the bottle in half with a sharp knife.  I then poked holes in the bottom of the bottle for drainage.

I filled the soda bottle with some container soil, sprinkled some carrot seeds and then covered with more soil.  The orange at the bottom is from a lid from a pint of sorbet, that I cleaned and I'm using that as a 'plate' to collect drainage.

I decided to start some big boy tomatoes using the egg crate that I used for my grape tomatoes.  I put 2 seeds in each one.

My potatoes have been doing spectacular.  I have 4 potato plants.  Today, marks day 33.

I re-potted all 4 potato plants into a larger container.  I covered most of the plant with container soil.

I felt my grape tomatoes also needed more room, so I decided to re-pot them as well.  Day 33 for them too.

I carefully took the grape tomato plants out of the soil.  They are still in the egg shells that I planted them in.

I pulled all of them out and gently placed them on a drainage plate while I got the bigger pots ready.

I am using my huge containers from my patio garden last year.  They are now much more spread out and are very healthy plants.  I have 15 total!  :)  Once they get bigger I am probably going to crack the eggs shells and separate the plants.

Next up, I planted some marigolds.  Marigolds are good flowers to plant with tomatoes.

Finally, I brought everything inside to the window and set it all up and gave everyone some water to drink.

Oh, my onion I tried growing did not grow.  I watered it everyday and it got lots of sunshine.  I think I didn't cut enough of the onion scrap off.  I'm going to try again.

No comments:

Post a Comment