April 21, 2013

Rigatoni Pie

My husband, told me about something a co-worker/friend pinner the other day on Pinterest.  He described it as being a pie with noodles so I searched on Pinterest and came across the Rigatoni Pie and with excitement Nate said  "that's it".  I told him I would make it one day for dinner and that day was today.

First off I will say it's a PAIN IN THE BUTT to make.  If anyone says differently they are lying.  LOL

I cooked my meat sauce.  I used turkey meat, w sauce, 1 chopped cooking onion, black pepper, Italian seasoning and red pepper flakes.  Once the meat was cooked and drained I then added spaghetti sauce and let it simmer while I boiled the rigatoni noodles.  When the noodles were done I drained them and ran them under cold water to cool and mixed in some olive oil.  I placed them in my springform pan.  This was a pain b/c they were slippery.  Once I got them in it was easier to get the rest of the noodles in the pan.  I sprinkled with shredded parmesan cheese.  I then scooped the meat sauce on top.  I baked on 350 degrees for 15 minutes.  I then placed some more parmesan cheese on top of meat sauce and also covered with mozzarella cheese and sprinkled some parsley flakes on top.  I baked for another 15 minutes until cheese was melted.

Cheese finally melted....

Delicious looking

Carefully, slice a piece.  Our noodles fell apart when it got to the plate.  Oh well.  LOL This tasted just like lasagna.  It was really good and makes leftovers for work lunches.  :)

4 comments:

  1. still not on board with picture #1, but otherwise, DELISH!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it seems a lot of work for little reward - so to speak. If you had put the pasta on a plate and dumped the sauce on top and then sprinkle it with cheese, it would taste just the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comment Amateur Cook. I know if I had dumped everything onto a plate that it would all taste the same. The whole point of making it like this was to make it into a pie with all the noodles standing up, not laying down. :)

    ReplyDelete