April 27, 2013

Indoor Garden update: Day 54

Today is day 54 of my indoor garden.  I've added some more things and also moved some things outside.

On April 1st, I got a rose plant from work which I decided to rescue.  It's very healthy and doing really well. It attracts gnats which I don't like at all.  A friend, of mine let me borrow some bug spray for the rose bush.  I'll give it a try.  But for now I've moved it outside away from my veggies.  :)

My Avocado pit is still splitting.  This is Day 14.  Also, my last celery died.  I think it wasn't getting the proper drainage because I accidentally left a pot plate in the bottom of the pot.  OOPS!  I started a new one.  This is day 2.

Nate and I ran a few errands last night.  We stopped off at Walmart for Oil and Filters for our vehicles.  We parked at the garden section so I could scope out the plants.  I saw this cute little pepper plant.  I had to get him.  He was calling my name.  Last year, I tried my thumb at peppers and they would get to a certain point and a horned caterpillar would come and eat them.  So, this year I am going to keep this plant indoors.  I think that will protect it from bugs and caterpillars.


Here's the Red Bell Pepper snug in his pot.  Once he gets bigger he'll move to a bigger pot.

I came across some seed packs at reduced prices.  A pack of strawberry bulbs for $1.50.  I figured I would  give it a shot.  Why not?  You can never have too many things growing at once.  LOL

I dumped the package on a pot plate.  I found this huge clump an figured that was the bulbs.  I carefully separated the clump and noticed a rubber band.  I took the rubber band off and then I found the bulbs with roots.

They look like pieces of dirty hair.  LOL

I planted them in a window planter.  The directions on the packet said to leave the caps (top of plant) uncovered so I did.

I changed out one of my window boxes of grape tomatoes.  Some were getting choked and wilty.  I found some skewers at Walmart last night that I figured would help hold them up.  This morning I found some cable ties and then set to work trying to save them.

Here's all 10 plants with ties.  I hope this keeps them upright.  We'll see.


Here's the other window box of grape tomatoes.  I'm going to leave them in here.  They are doing good.

Here's a picture of the whole garden.....Strawberries, red peppers, carrots, onions, marigolds, zucchini, squash, potatoes, big boy tomatoes and grape tomatoes.  :)


Here's some fresh Asparagus my mother picked up from a local farms yesterday.  YUMMY!  
I can't wait to eat this.  :)


No comments:

Post a Comment