April 13, 2013

Re-Grow your own Avocado Pit

My husband, Nate ran a 10k this morning beating his time from last year.  YEY  His time this year was 59:15!  He decided for his lunch he would make a nice big sandwich which he named 'The Monument' after the race.  So clever!  One of the items Nate had on his sandwich was avocado.  Nate showed me how to open an avocado and how to get the pit out.  He took the pit and was about to throw it away and I shrieked "WAIT".  He looked at me like I was crazy and I smiled and said "I wonder if you can plant the pit".  He laughed and said "maybe".  

I of course, went right to Pinterest and found the blog 'The Hungry Mouse'.  And what do you know, you can totally grow the pit.  AWESOMESAUCE!  It looks like it could take up to about 7 years until you actually get any fruit but hey why not give it a try anyway.
 In 2020, Nate will come home from running the 10k, go make his sandwich, 'The Monument' and then can pull a fresh, ripe avocado right from our tree that we planted 7 years ago.  hahahahaha  :)

You will need:

Avocado pit (scrubbed clean)
custard cup
4 toothpicks


Push the toothpicks in the pit, evenly around and then set it in the bowl.  I had Nate do the toothpicks for me.  He was excited to help.  :)  Make sure the tip of the pit is pointed up.  Fill with water to cover half of the pit.  Change the water out every day and let the pit regrow.  According to the blog, you should start to see growth within 3 to 6 weeks.  :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment