April 29, 2013

Parmesan Orzo with Asparagus and Bacon

For dinner tonight, I was inspired by this dish.  I had some farm fresh asparagus and decided to use it.  I was going to make chicken breasts to go with it but I figured I would just stick with using bacon for the protein.

It was delicious!  Nate loved it so this meal will be made again.  And I had leftovers for work lunches!  That's always a win because I don't have to buy lunch and when you eat the leftovers, there's no wasting.  :)


You will need:

Box of Orzo
Fresh Asparagus
Bacon
minced garlic
Italian dressing
parmesan cheese
Olive Oil
parsley flakes
black pepper
salt to taste

I first put the bacon on a foil lined cookie sheet and baked on 350 until it was cooked to my liking.  
While the bacon was baking, I boiled water in a pot and cooked the orzo.
I then cut up my asparagus and cooked it up with some olive oil, minced garlic, Italian dressing, black pepper, and salt in my skillet.  When the bacon was done, I drained it on a paper towel and then crumbled it up.  I then added the bacon to the skillet and let the flavors cook up together.  It's delicious just like this.  I had to keep myself from eating it.  haha  :)
Once the orzo was done, I drained it and added it back to the pot.  I mixed in some olive oil to keep the orzo from sticking together.  I then mixed in Parmesan cheese to let it melt within the orzo.  After the asparagus was done cooking I added the asparagus/bacon mixture to the orzo and stirred real good.  I added some more black pepper,  salt and parsley flakes until well combined.

Next time, I am going to add a chopped cooking onion and some chicken.  This would also taste great with a pork loin or steak.  (I don't eat seafood so I can't suggest fish).


No comments:

Post a Comment