March 4, 2013

Grape Tomato seeds in Egg Shells

Last year, I started container gardening.  You can use the search bar on the right and search 'garden' to see the progresses. I saw on pinterest that you can use egg shells to start plants from seeds.  I saved my farm fresh egg shells and regular store bought egg shells till I filled up an 18-count egg carton.  After I used the eggs, I washed out the shell and let them dry on a paper towel.  Then I stored them in the egg container.

Today, I decided to plant some grape tomato seeds.  Here's what they look like all buried in the egg shells waiting to grow.

Check to make sure all the egg shells are sitting right in the egg tray.

I put some container soil in a small pot and used a plastic spoon to transfer soil to egg shell.

I added a little bit of soil to each egg shell.

I went inside because it got too windy.  I then added little grape tomato seeds (which I got from store bought grape tomatoes).  I saved the seeds from the tomatoes and washed them real good then dried them on a paper towel.  Once they were dry, they stuck to the paper towel.  I then soaked the paper towel to get the seeds off and then had them dry on a plate and kept them in a ziploc bag until today.  :)

Add a few seeds to the top of the soil in the shell.

Cover each with more soil.  I then took a turkey baster to water each one.

After they all got a drink, I cut off the extra egg carton that I didn't need.  I put the shells outside for some sunshine.  I will keep them in the house for the most part until they grow big enough to put them in a pot.

My husband, made a huge table sluice a few years ago.  This was a project he made for the last time he went  to the mine to dig up garnets.  He brought a ton of dirt home and dug through it for gems using this table.  I thought I blogged about it but I didn't.  OOPS!  :)  I figured this would be a nice to use for putting the shells on when it's nice and sunny and for using as a garden table.  :)

Plant babies sunbathing.

How adorable do they look?  Now let's hope I actually get some grape tomato plants.  :)

2 comments:

  1. These are so cute! Good luck with them - can't wait to have some tomatoes from your garden this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!! We'll see how they do. And if they do good you will def be getting some. :)

    ReplyDelete