March 11, 2013

Homemade Orange Chicken


I wanted to make Orange Chicken and for dinner tonight I did.  I used this blog and this site as guides.

2 chicken breast

Orange Sauce:
3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
3/4 cup Orange Juice
half the juice of an orange (I used the one I zested)
Zest of 1 whole orange
1 tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
minced garlic
ginger
1 tbsp water
red Pepper flakes
tbsp water

For Chicken coating:
cornstarch
black pepper
peanut Oil


I cut up the chicken breast into cubes.  Then I coated the cubed chicken with corn starch and black pepper. I cooked up the chicken in peanut oil.  It only took a few minutes.  Just watch it.  Once the chicken was cooked, I drained it onto a paper towel and let it cool.  

I whisked up the sauce.  I then added the cooled (cooked) chicken to the sauce and refrigerated for about an hour.

When I was ready to cook the Orange Chicken I put everything in my skillet and added some corn starch for thickening.  I put the lid on and let it simmer together.  I cooked my rice right before serving.  The sauce was great.  

Next time, I make this dish, I think I will bake the chicken instead of cooking it in the oil.  I might also add some red and green peppers as well.  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment