May 27, 2012

How to Freeze Bell Peppers

I bought a big pack of red bell peppers and a big pack of green bell peppers the other day at the grocery store.  I didn't use them at all this past week and I didn't want them going bad before I could use them.  I googled how to freeze bell peppers and came across this blog.  It was very easy to do and now I've got peppers that won't go to waste. WINNING!  :) This will come in handy for my peppers I'm growing too so none will go to waste.  WINNING (again)  :)

First you want to wash off your peppers.
 Nice and clean peppers.  :)

In certain dishes I make, I use red and green peppers.  I matched up each of my red peppers with a green pepper.  Then you will chop them up into pieces or into slices.  I made 2 bags of sliced peppers and then 4 bags of chopped peppers.  After I cut each pairing, I placed them on a paper towel, so I had each section ready.  I then got a cookie sheet and placed one cut up pair on one side and another cut up pair on the other side of the cookie sheet.  Remove any ice in your freezer and turn off your ice maker from making more ice.  See update on bottom of post.  I stuck the cookie sheet in the freezer for about 30 to 40 minutes.  This will freeze your peppers before you put them in freezer bags.  It will keep them from sticking together.

After about 30 to 40 minutes here are the frozen pepper pieces.  :)  I put them in a freezer bag and got rid of all the air in the bag then sealed it and placed in the freezer flat.

Now, I've got peppers ready to go for dinners.  I love that this will save me time while cooking dinner too.  Just take out of the freezer, empty the peppers and cook.  Easy!  :)

The original blogger says that these peppers will last 8 months in the freezer.  I know I'll be using them way before 8 months.  But it's good to know that if you find peppers on clearance or grow your own and end up with way more than you need you can freeze them and you'll have 8 months to use them up.  :)

UPDATE:  I remove my ice container/trays and turn off the ice maker so the ice doesn't end up tasting like peppers.  This happened to me after I froze my first batch.  I mean I love peppers, but I don't want my ice tasting like them.  haha

No comments:

Post a Comment