November 2, 2010

Homemade Cranberry Sauce

I got a bag of fresh cranberries yesterday at the store, and thought I would make my own cranberry sauce. It can't be that hard and I was right. It's so easy to make!! :) And the best part, your house will smell wonderful!! :)

The back of the cranberry package says all you need is the bag of cranberries, 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. I did some research on the internets. Some people say to replace the cup of water with a cup of OJ. It helps with the sweet and tangy. I also decided to put some orange rind and the juice of half a lemon. :)

Rinse your cranberries! :) (remove any stems)

Put your cranberries in the pot you are going to cook them in.

1 cup of sugar, 1 cup of OJ and some orange rind. I don't have a zester so I used my peeler to peel some of the rind and then took a knife and cut the rinds into small pieces. :)

Cook on medium heat, stirring frequently. :) You will hear the cranberries POP, which is really cool sounding. :)

Once it comes to a boil, let them keep cooking.

Keep stirring and you will notice the sauce thickening up. I tasted it at this point. I thought it was still a little tangy. I added a little more sugar, few more orange rinds, OJ and also a little bit of apple juice. :)

Once it's done, (you kinda eyeball it to know when it's ready) put it in the bowl you will serve it in. Cover with foil and refrigerate. Once you see how easy this is, you'll never get that can stuff again. :) I'm going to serve it with dinner tonight. :)

3 comments:

  1. i am so excited that cranberries are in season..FRESH cranberry salsa!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cranberries are awesome!! You can buy a bunch of fresh cranberries and freeze them. Then you can use them anytime you'd like anytime of the year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. i totally stole this idea today and made cranberry sauce. so yummy! it's gone except for a few spoonfuls!

    ReplyDelete