October 30, 2010

Morefield Gem Mine

We went to Morefield Gem Mine today in Amelia County, Virginia. :)

Sign at the entrance to the mine.

MINE SHAFT: DANGER :)

There are lots of buckets and shovels that you can use if you don't bring your own.

"Garnet Hill" In the red clay muck you will find garnets. I like 'surface hunting'. Which is just finding treasures on the surface of the ground. Nate likes to dig up the muck putting it all in buckets and take it to the sluice. But it's always crowded and messy so I don't like going over there.

The end of the sluice....

Look at all the garnets! :)

Nate invited some co-workers. Emily decided to join us with her daughter Faith. Faith is so sweet! :)

Here's Faith again sitting for pictures on petrified tree.

These are my findings for today. I found some garnets, purple amethyst, topaz and other gems.

Close up of my garnets I found. I didn't find as many as Nate. I always give him the ones I find.

Nate's garnets he found today.

All of Nate's garnets. :)

All of my purple amethyst. :) I think we both have a good collection. What do we do with all of our gems? We keep them in ball jars. :)

2 comments:

  1. holy crap nate found a lot of garnets. you guys must have been out there long!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We were only there for like 4 hours. Nate's a pro at finding them so he doesn't waste any time. LOL

    ReplyDelete