August 27, 2013

RVA Swappers Meet

My friend, Kristen was telling me about a Food Swappers meet in Richmond (RVA) that a co-worker she knew had gone too.  It sounded like a lot of fun so we figured next time there was a meet we would go and see for ourselves.

A few weeks ago, RVA Swappers made an announcement about having an anniversary meet on 8/26. Kristen, Ashley and I all signed up to go.  :)

Once we checked in we bought some raffle tickets to try to win some cool prizes.  (Ball jars, gift certificates)  We didn't win anything.  Ah well.  It was still fun to try though.

We set up our items on the swap table.  You basically bring 6 items.  One for tasting and five to swap/trade.  The items are either homemade or homegrown.  Anywhere from jams, baked goods, garden veggies etc. 
 I decided to bring my homemade vanilla extract.  I know it's good stuff.  It's the only extract I use and I've sold a ton of it so I know it's a good product.

Here's my bottles set out on the table.

Here's some other items.  In this picture you can see fig jam, blackberry jam, peach butter, and taco seasoning.

There was some fabulous refreshments.  The deviled eggs were delish.  I don't really like chick peas but the two squared bowls in the front were fried chick peas and they were AWESOME!  I really loved them.

I tried the yellow cheese. It was very good and creamy.  :)

Here's the swap table with some more goodies.  There was a salted caramel sauce, truffles, bbq sauce, and some cookies.

Here's the truffles.  One was made with champagne and the other with red wine.  
I tried the champagne one and it was good.  I wanted to trade but by the time I went to ask the lady had already traded all of them.

Ashley, made and brought lactation cookies.  They are good for women who are breastfeeding b/c it helps you produce more milk.  If you're not breastfeeding then it's just a normal cookie.  It's sorta like a granola bar.  They are really tasty.  I love them and I think they would be a good breakfast cookie.

Kristen, made taco seasoning.  Homemade taco seasoning is the best!  
It's so much better than using those packets.

Towards the end there was cake.  The icing had coffee in it.  I don't like coffee and I could taste it right away.  The cake was good.


Here's the group of swappers.

Here's a picture, I took this morning of all my goodies.

The chewy coconut lime cookies were really good.....and they are all gone as I type this.  haha

My other goods.

We had fun.  Now that we know how the whole process works we know the next one will be even better.  I hope to be able to have one in my own town.  I have so many ideas of items I could make to trade for.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment