March 2, 2012

Rainbow Cupcakes

My friend, Christal Blue, at work has a birthday this Sunday. My friend, Kristen made me these super cool cupcakes a few years ago for my birthday one year and I decided to make ones similar to them. I surprised Christal with Rainbow Cupcakes at work yesterday b/c I knew I wouldn't see her before her birthday. She loved them, and so did everyone else that was lucky enough to be at work when I came in yesterday afternoon. :)

I used a white cake box mix. (Pillsbury....you could use a from scratch mix if you'd like)
Mix up your cake mix in a large bowl. Then divide the batter evenly into bowls (I went into my party drawer and used some styrofoam bowls and plastic spoons so I wouldn't have a ton of dishes). Be sure to use a bowl for each color you're doing. Once you've got the batter in all the bowls, add your food coloring and mix gently until the color is combined. I used these classic gel food colors from Betty Crocker. I love them! :) And for those of you who didn't pay attention in art class on how to make the color purple or orange from your primary colors well there is an easy guide on the package to tell you how to get different colors. :P I lined the bowls up so I knew how I would do the layering once I was ready to fill the cupcake tins.

You can use cupcake liners but I HATE those things with a passion. I don't want to sit there and peel off a liner before I eat my cupcake. LOL I sprayed PAM spray in the tins so they wouldn't stick. I then started my layering. Purple, blue, green, yellow, orange, and then red. I put them in the oven at 350 degrees for about 18 min. or until a tester comes out clean.



And now they are done and cooling....


How cute! That massive one there in the bottom left corner, I left for my hubby since it overpowered the others. haha

While the cupcakes are cooling you can make your frosting. I didn't make mine. I used a white pillsbury frosting tub. I added food coloring to get the purple. I chose purple for the icing b/c purple is Christal's favorite color. :)

I saw this tip on pinterest a few days ago. Put your icing bag in a tall glass jar and fill your bag. This made it so easy. :)
I'm not a pro at icing cupcakes. I basically used the plop and spread method for the icing. I wanted the cupcakes to look adorable so I knew I had to learn the signature swirl. (DC cupcakes makes it look so easy) haha Kristen sent me this youtube link and it helped. :) Once iced I added some rainbow sprinkles. :)


The best part (besides not peeling off a liner) is the awesome colors inside. :)


Yum, yum, yum! :)
These are so cute and fun! I know they'll be a hit at any party you bring them to. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment