January 29, 2012

Homemade Peppered Steak

I love Peppered Steak. I really like Wegmans Peppered Steak on their Chinese Buffet. It's good but at $8.50 a pound....well it's a little pricey. I pinned a recipe on Pinterest the other day which took me to this blog and I knew I wanted to make it for dinner tonight.

Steak (I just got a nice looking cut at the store that was $5)
4 tsp plus 3 tbsp soy sauce (low sodium)
1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
3 tsp corn starch
5 tsp vegetable oil (I used EVOO)
1 large onion, sliced into thin strips
1 red pepper, sliced into thin strips
1/2 tsp black ground pepper
crushed red pepper flakes (optional but who would ever want to leave this out) :)
Rice (I used the 90 second rice pack)


Directions:

Slice your meat into thin slices. Place in a bowl and add 4 tsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp rice wine, 1 tsp cornstarch, 1/2 tsp black ground pepper and red pepper flakes.

In a small bowl, add your sliced red pepper, sliced onion, 3 tbsp soy sauce, 1 tbsp water, and 2 tsp cornstarch. Mix well and set aside.

In your large skillet or wok heat up 1 tbsp oil. Once heated add your meat mix. Cook until meat is done. It took about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate.

Add remaining 2 tsp of oil to skillet/wok and then add your red pepper mix and cook for about 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, add your meat back in and mix everything well. I also added about 1 more tbsp of water to keep everything from sticking to the bottom of the skillet. It will thicken up pretty quickly. While everything is simmering together cook your 90 second rice.

Eat hot!! :) It was really good. This is a dish I will make again. I might even add some green and yellow peppers next time. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment