October 13, 2013

Mexican Orzo SKillet

Last night, I made a dish that was inspired by this, Mexican Orzo Salad.

I'm calling mine Mexican Orzo Skillet.  Orzo is delicious.  I've made orzo a few times with other dishes.  Like my Sausage Orzo Skillet and my Parmesan Orzo with Asparagus and Bacon.


It turned out great and this is something I will be making again.  I might add some homemade taco seasoning to the mixture to make it have more zing.  We'll see...it's good without too.

You will need:

Orzo
Red onion
Chicken breasts
1 can light red kidney beans (drained)
1 can black beans (drained)
1 can corn (no salt added and drained)
1 bell pepper (red or green)
pico de gallo
lime juice
olive oil
minced garlic
salt and pepper

First, I washed and cooked up 2 chicken breasts.  While the chicken was cooking I drained my beans and corn and then added them to a bowl.  I boiled water for my orzo and cooked it.  I cut up a red onion and added it to the bowl.  I added the pico de gallo and sliced up bell pepper to the bowl with some lime juice, salt and pepper and then mixed it all together.  The colors are awesome.  It was like a rainbow.  I wished I'd taken a picture.  Maybe next time?  Once the chicken was done I cut it up into bite size pieces.  To my skillet, I added olive oil and minced garlic and then added the bowl of corn, beans, onion and pico to the skillet and cooked it up for a few minutes.  I then added the chicken and once the orzo was done I added that to the skillet too.  I added a little water and mixed everything real good and let it cook up.  I also added a little more lime juice to give it some more moisture.  Nate loved this and I found it very filling.  Yummy!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment