February 11, 2012

Homemade Taco Seasoning

I decided it was time to make my own taco seasoning. Those little packets are good but not good for you. They are loaded with tons of sodium and things you just can't pronounce. I found some pins on pinterest that got me started. Here and here. It's funny b/c most of the spices I already had in my spice rack. YEY! :)

How beautiful do those spices look? :)

4 tbsp Chili Powder
3 tbsp, plus 1 tsp paprika
3 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp, plus 2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp crushed red pepper
2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp black pepper

Put everything in a bowl and mix together well, then put into a ball jar or a plastic container. Use 2tbsp per pound of meat, chicken or turkey and add some water while cooking.


All mixed up....

I put a funnel on top of my ball jar to get it in there. :)


I used a small ball jar.

Do you like my lid? I got that great idea from Pinterest from here. Who knew that those lids screwed onto a ball jar so perfectly? :)

Look at the mix! I can't wait to try it the next time I make tacos. :) I'll give an update once I try the mix.

UPDATE: I made chicken tacos Monday night for dinner with my taco seasoning!! It was awesome!! I added more black pepper and a pinch of salt while the chicken was simmering in the spices. Nate said that it tastes so much better than those little packets and I totally agree. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment