October 6, 2013

Run for your lives Zombie 5k

Last year, Nate and I signed up to be Zombies in the Run for your lives Zombies 5k.  Our day ended up being canceled due to a Hurricane that came through.  But we were allowed to sign up again this year for another race and our tickets would transfer.  

Yesterday was the big day.  We drove an hour to the part of Maryland where the event was taking place.

We parked for free with our Zombie parking pass.  Once we parked we walked down to where buses were loading people to take to the area.

Here we are in line to get on the bus.

After the bus dropped us off we walked our way down to the event tents to check in.  Walking by we saw the first runners and first zombie horde on the course.  It was awesome.  I was hoping we would be in this area b/c then we wouldn't have to walk too far to our zone.

This girl zombie was a chaser and she did a good job chasing.

After we signed our waiver we checked in at the zombie tent.  This is where we found out that we were zone 2.  We didn't really know what that meant because the people there really didn't explain it.  It would be nice if they explained things better.  I guess they assume everyone has done this?

I saw the tent for where we had to go next.  Zombie transformation tent.  I got in line and Nate went to find a bathroom.  While in line I took a picture of runners just walking around.

We dropped off our bags at the Zombie baggage tent and then waited in line some more.  You could tell who's been a zombie before b/c they knew exactly what to do.  These zombies were getting their clothes shredded.  Nate and I skipped this part b/c I didn't want to take my clothes off right there and stand in my underwear.  LOL

We skipped the shredded and then waited in the line for the make up and then blood.

Here we are.  :)


Of course, this is before we had COLD blood splashed on us.  Nate looks like he just ate someone.  LOL

Here's some blood.

Nate

Me

This guy is getting blood thrown on him.  I wanted to take a picture of us all bloody but we were extremely bloody and I needed the blood to dry before I could take the camera out of my pocket.  I did have several ppl stop me to take my picture so hopefully someone will post my picture so I can see what I looked like drenched in the blood.  LOL


Here's some runners on the course.

More blood being thrown on the zombies.  Nate and I had enough blood so we didn't get a refill.  haha

Here's my fellow zombies.  The areas are broken up in 10 zones.  My zone (2) was in the exact area I was hoping for.  YEY!  The superman kid was awesome.  He was a good chaser.  He got so many flags.

Between runners groups we would get a little break to sit in the shade.  It was so hot outside.  We forgot to put sunscreen on before the makeup and I could feel the burn.  :(

After a while I moved from where I first stood so I was standing in some shade and so when we got our next break I didn't have to walk for to sit down and rest.  
Here's some runners going through some muddy water.  We were only allowed to grab flags on runners that had 3 or more flags that way the runners flags aren't all gone so early on.

Once our 3 hours was up we quickly got back to the Zombie tent so we could get our zombie perks.  Shirt, medal and beer ticket.  We could have hit the showers but we forgot to bring towels so we left with our makeup on and scared people on the way home.  haha

Here's my medal and shirt.

I managed to pull 4 flags off runners.  I didn't get a lot of flags compared to other zombies near me.  It was hard to see how many flags some of the runners had.  It would be better if it was broken up into colors so each zone knows what color flag to go for.  The purple flags were flags the runners paid $10 extra to have an extra chance so those were like the precious flags.  I managed to get one.  LOL  
Some of the runners need to learn to not be so mean.  I had one guy smack my arm and I called him out on it and then he said sorry.  I had several girls try to smack my hand or arm.  I have a few words I would like to share with them.  LOL  Some of the runners are cheaters too.  They hide the flags or roll them up so we can't snatch them.  NOT FAIR!  Oh, I also had a crowd of runners coming towards me as I was stumbling around.  They were being chased by one of my fellow zombies and he ended up crashing into me.  It hurt but luckily I'm just bruised and not injured.  I was just glad that I didn't fall to the ground.  Otherwise, I would really be hurting.

I won't do this race again.  I'm checking it off the bucket list!  Don't get me wrong, it was fun but I saw too many runners fall and get hurt.  One runner that fell was trampled on by other runners and he screamed out in agony.  It wasn't fun seeing that.  And some of the runners are mean to the zombies.  WE ARE'NT REAL so CALM DOWN!!!!  The zombies get abused.

4 comments:

  1. love the zombie makeup! sorry for the rude runners, but glad you got to check this off the list ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just search ZOMBIE PLANT grow kit to grow the zombie plant that plays dead when Touched

    ReplyDelete