September 18, 2011

Firebirds Chicken Tortilla Soup

Have you ever been to Firebirds Wood Fired Grill? Well if you have and you've tried the Chicken Tortilla Soup then you know how good it is. It's one of my favorites and I decided to make it today. I googled it and found this blog. I was excited to make it. I jotted down what I needed and headed to the grocery store to get the items.


To make:

First heat 2 to 3 tbsp vegetable oil to a pan. I then added some minced garlic. Once the pan heats up, add the veggies and let them saute till tender on medium/high heat.



Turn heat on medium. Then add in your diced tomatoes, seasonings, minced garlic, salt, black pepper, and chicken stock. Bring to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.



After 20 minutes, add crushed tortilla chips and cook for another 10 minutes. Then add to your blender and blend till smooth. This is when you get the orange/yellow color. It's pretty awesome watching it change. Add your cheese and puree it till cheese is mixed in. Mix in some chicken (cooked and diced).


Then add to your soup bowl and enjoy. :)
You can add some diced tomatoes, sour cream and more crushed tortilla chips. I just added chips. It was really good. :) Nate had 2 large bowls full. He said it was a A+. Didn't know I was being graded. LOL :)


Ingredients: (I changed the amount to my preference)

2 to 3 tbsp vegetable oil
minced garlic
yellow onion (I used half of 1 large onion)
carrots (I used 2)
celery (I used 3)
red bell pepper (I used the whole pepper)
tomatoes (rough chopped...I used 4)
salt
black pepper
cilantro (tsp)
oregano (tsp)
cumin (tsp)
unsalted chicken stock (I used 1 container)
crushed tortilla chips
pepper jack cheese
roasted chicken (I used roasted chicken shortcuts)

Give it a try. It doesn't take long to do and if you make extra you could freeze it to have later.

4 comments:

  1. Gonna have to try this. It looks so good:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It was really good. While we blended it we were like "OMG it smells just like it". LOL And then when we tasted it we knew we had a masterpiece. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So I know this is an older post but I just found this recipe. Omg its super delish. I may never have to go to Firebirds for my favorite soup again ;)

    ReplyDelete