March 29, 2014

Spaghetti Squash

I came across a blog recently for Spaghetti Squash.  I decided to make it for dinner.

How delicious does it look?


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

First, you need a spaghetti squash.  I picked a medium size one.  Wash it real good and then dry it off.  I can't wait to see these at the farmers markets this summer/fall to get farm fresh ones.

Cut it in half as evenly as you can.  I had my husband do this b/c I don't like big knives and don't need to cut myself.  (I'm on blood thinner and it's not a good idea to use a big knife).  :)

Scoop out the seeds and goo.

Nice and clean.

Add some olive oil, minced garlic, pepper and a little salt all around.

Put them in a glass dish cut side down.  I brushed them with some olive oil.  Bake on 400 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes.  While your squash is baking you can cook up your meat sauce.  I used lean ground turkey meat.  I cooked it up with some W sauce, pepper and Italian seasoning.  Once it was done, I drained it and put back in the skillet and added spaghetti sauce and let it simmer.

My squash halves were done at about 35 minutes.  I poked a fork in them and it went right in so I knew they were ready for the next step.  I turned the oven down to 350 degrees.

I carefully used tongs to put the squash halves on a cutting board to cool a little while I 'scraped' the spaghetti with a fork.  It was so cool scraping them.  It looked like spaghetti.  I tasted it and it was yummy.


I put some of the spaghetti in a bowl.  How cool does it look?


I then added some of the minced garlic back to bottom of squash (from the baking dish).  Then I sprinkled some pepper and parsley flakes.

Next, I put the squash halves in a clean baking dish.  I added a little meat sauce and spaghetti to the halves.  Then I layered some more meat sauce and then topped with cheese.  I also sprinkled some pepper and parsley flakes on top. 

Perfection!  So yummy!

And.......when life gives you seeds.....PLANT THEM!  I planted some of the spaghetti squash seeds.  But I accidentally labeled it butternut.  So, I'll fix that tomorrow.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment