September 14, 2013

Garden Update: Day 202

Today is update 202.  

Here's my potato plants.  This is day 63 for these guys.  I have several flowers.  Once that flowers die there should be potatoes buried down in the dirt.

Here's a close up of the flowers.

My marigolds are still blooming more flowers.  It's day 162 for them.  I started them from seed.  :)  I might take a few of the plants and repot them into there own pots since they keep growing.  The marigolds help keep bugs away and are great companions for tomatoes and potatoes.

This is my Meyer lemon tree.  It's still doing great.  Lots of green leaves and some tiny flower buds.

The lemon is still green but it is trying to turn yellow.

I'm sad to say that I think my pumpkin plants are done.  I dumped them into the compost pile today.  I'm not sure what happened.  They either didn't get enough water or the humidity got to them.  Next year, I am going to plant the pumpkin seeds earlier and I am going to grow them inside and not let them outside at all.  I found stink bugs on them so they could have been the culprit of why they didn't make it.  They did really well indoors and I'm am determined to grow a pumpkin.

I'm still getting grape tomatoes.  And I've now pulled 5 horned caterpillars off the plant.  I've been collecting the caterpillars and putting them in a little red tupperware.  I hate those caterpillars and the turds they leave EVERYWHERE.  EWWWWWWWWwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Here's the gross horned caterpillars.  These things will RUIN your tomato plants.  I've found a few with these white egg things on their backs.  I thought it was baby caterpillar eggs but I just read on the internets that it's actually wasp babies and once a caterpillar gets these on their back then they are pretty much doomed.  I kinda feel bad for them now but then I look at my tomato plants and I don't feel so bad for them anymore.

Here's what's left of my garden.

Inside I still have my yellow petite peppers and my red bell peppers.  I have 2 peppers that have red on them.  Hopefully, they will all turn red.  If not, I will just eat them as green peppers.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment