May 24, 2011

Strawberry Crumb Muffins

I was going to make some homemade blueberry muffins but thought to myself 'what about strawberry muffins'. It sounded like a good idea. I researched several recipes and figured I could combine a few of the recipes to make into one. Why not right? :)

First off, you want nice clean berries. I put a paper towel on a cookie sheet and washed each berry then laid onto the paper towel to drain. I then put another paper towel on top of the berries and put them in the fridge while I ran out and did a few errands. When I came home I pulled the tray out and set them on the counter. I cut up about 2 cups of berries and put aside.

This recipe makes a dozen muffins. (12)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Ingredients:
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp nutmeg

In a medium bowl combine the above 4 ingredients with a fork until well mixed.

Ingredients:
2 eggs, (lightly beaten)
1/2 cup fat-free Strawberry yogurt
1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/8 tsp lemon juice
1 tbs fat free milk
1 1/4 cups or 2 cups chopped strawberries. (you can use fresh or frozen)

In another medium bowl whisk the above ingredients except for the berries. Stir into the dry mix until moistened. Then fold in your strawberries.

Folding in berries. You can cut them up smaller than I did if you wish. I wanted big chunks of berries. At this point I tasted the batter and I liked it.

Crumb Topping:
1/3 cup brown sugar
2 tbs flour
1/8 tsp cinnamon
1 tbs butter (unsalted)

Mix the above ingredients until it looks like a cornmeal texture. This is the same crumb topping I used for the Banana Crumb Muffins. Fill muffin cups coated with cooking spray or lined with paper muffin liners 2/3 full. Sprinkle crumb mixture onto each muffin.

Bake at 400 degrees for 15-18 min or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 min before removing the muffins from pan to a wire rack.

How cute?
MMMMM good! :)

Muffins in a Strawberry Quart container. :)

2 comments:

  1. They look good - I love that you used the best of several recipes to make them :) I might steal ;) I used 1 quart of strawberries last night for the french cream but still have most of 1 left!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) Go right ahead! MMMM....I'm out of berries. They left overs I took to work last night and ate. LOL I need more berries! I'm obsessed!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete