March 29, 2011

Homemade Cinnamon Roll Blob

I wanted something to settle my sweet tooth. I was going to make blueberry muffins but then thought I would try to bake some from scratch cinnamon rolls. I did everything according to the directions. As I got to the final steps my dough was too sticky on the counter and I couldn't roll it up so I smashed it in frustration and had a big blob. I put the blob in the pan and baked it and it still came out very tasty. :)

Here's the recipe and directions for you in case you'd like to give it a shot. :)

Rolls:
2 1/2 cups flour and some extra for counter
2 tbsp sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/4 cups buttermilk
2 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)

Cinnamon filling:
3/4 cup packed brown sugar (you can use dark or light, I used light)
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp salt
1 tbsp unsalted butter (melted)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Coat a round pan with PAM spray. I used my round pyrex pie dish.

2. Make the filling. Combine ingredients until until mix resembles wet sand. It will smell really good and you'll want to eat it. LOL No, I didn't eat any but the smell was wonderful.

3. Make the dough. Whisk the ingredients in a large bowl. Don't add the melted butter.

4. In a separate bowl, whisk your buttermilk and 2 tbsp melted butter together. Now if you don't have buttermilk like I didn't you can take milk and mix in 1 tbsp of lemon juice or vinegar. Let sit 5 min then mix together. Works good!

5. Stir buttermilk mix into the flour mix with a wooden spoon until absorbed. About 30 seconds. The dough will look shaggy and it did look very shaggy.

6. Turn the dough out onto well floured counter and knead until smooth. About 1 min. This process was sticky, goopey and messy. LOL

7. Press dough out into a 9 x 12 rectangle using you hands.

8. Brush dough with 2 tbsp melted butter. Then sprinkle dough with Cinnamon filling mix, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Press the filling firmly into the dough.

9. Loosen the dough with a scraper.

10. Starting at a long side, roll the dough, pressing lightly to form a tight log.

11. Pinch the seam to seal. Slice the dough into 8 even pieces. Tip: For easier slicing of dough, use unflavored dental floss. Slide under rolled dough then cross of the top of roll to cut through.

12. Place slices in greased pan.

13. Brush with remaining 2 tbsp melted butter and bake until edges are golden brown, 20 to 25 min.

14. Use a knife to loosen the buns from pan. Flip the bun s out onto greased wire rack, then turn buns upright and let cool 10 min before frosting. Prepare frosting while rolls are cooling.

My log got stuck while trying to roll up so I rolled as best as I could and then smashed it together, and put in pan. I brushed on the butter and baked it. Once it cooled a few min I frosted it.

For the icing/frosting:

8oz cream cheese (room temp)
1/2 cup unsalted butter (room temp)
1 tsp vanilla
3 cups confectioners/powdered sugar
1 tbsp milk

Mix until smooth. Now....funny enough I didn't have 3 cups of confectioners sugar. So, my brother looked online and figured out how to process white sugar into a powdered sugar by blending and adding cornstarch. Came out pretty good. :)


Looks good eh? Yeah, it's very good. :) Too bad it didn't turn out like rolls but it still came out great. :)

MMMM :)

4 comments:

  1. They look good! I am going to try and make the Pioneer Woman's cinnamon rolls this week, I'll let you know how they turn out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Lora!! Good luck making yours. Be sure to blog about it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. definitely still looks yummy even as a blob :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks K! yeah it's yummy as a blob too. haha :)

    ReplyDelete