April 15, 2016

2016 Garden Update #6

My garden update for the week.....

Here's my greenhouse.  It's packed full but still not packed enough.  haha


Here's some sunflowers.  The back on the left is my squash balls.  I have 4 sprouts in there.

My mother ordered some hens and chicks and dropped them off the other day.  She kept a few and planted them.  I planted a couple of them.  They are pretty cute.

Hens and Chicks up close...






Here's some of the succulents I planted.



I made a trip to the dollar tree during lunch one day.  I picked up a small glass fish bowl, some pebbles and 4 glass containers in pretty bright colors.  I loved these as soon as I saw them.  I think they would make a cute gift of a plant.  We will see.  :)

I also bought a few more hanging plants with coco liners.

I planted a succulent in a pot with some pebbles.  I have an idea for this and I'm also going to re-pot this in one of my glass containers.  More on this later once I'm finished.

Here's the small glass fish bowl.  I added some rocks on the bottom for drainage.

I then added some fresh soil.

I picked a succulent and planted into the dirt.

I then added some rocks.  I have this succulent sitting in my kitchen window.  I might take it to work to sit on my desk by the window.

I learned something really interesting this week.  My husband asked me if chia seeds were the same as chia pets.  I went to the internet and searched and found this.

Q. Is it the same seed as in those chia pets? A. Yes, those are chia seeds! They sprout into microgreens, which you can add to salads or sandwiches, or just eat plain. They are similar to alfalfa sprouts in taste and texture.

How cool is that?  I had no idea.  I took some seeds from my bag and planted them.

The flowers on chia seed plants are beautiful.  

My sunflower garden is doing really well.  One morning, I had some doves trying to eat them though so I've made a fencing area with a net to try to keep them away.  It's been working so far.

When I caught the doves trying to get to my sunflowers I saw a bluebird flying around.  I figured I would check the bluebird house that afternoon to see if there were any eggs.  Sure enough when I carefully opened the bird house I saw nesting and I peeked inside and saw 4 perfect bluebird eggs.

My mother brought me some starter plant that she got.  Tomatoes, eggplants and peppers.  My nephew picked out some tomatoes and peppers starters to grow and my mom said I could have the rest.  I have them in my house sitting with the seedlings I planted last weekend.  I will plant them for outside after the frosts are done.  I don't have any sprouts for the inside seedlings yet.  Soon...I hope.  Last night and tonight we are supposed to get frost so I've been tucking in everything I have in the greenhouse just in case.  I don't want to lose any more plants.

No comments:

Post a Comment