May 23, 2013

Amish Friendship Bread

My friend, Crystal gave me a starter bag for Amish Friendship Bread over the weekend.  There is a 10 day process before you can bake it.  I got my starter bag on day 6.

Don't use a metal spoon or metal bowl for mixing.  Do not refrigerate.
It's normal for the batter to bubble and for the bag to expand, just let some air out slowly as the fermenting is taking place.  :)

Day 1- Squeeze bag
Day 2- Squeeze bag
Day 3- Squeeze bag
Day 4- Squeeze bag
Day 5- Squeeze bag
Day 6- Add 1 cup milk, 1 cup sugar, 1 cup flour and mix throughly in ziploc bag
Day 7- Squeeze bag
Day 8- Squeeze bag
Day 9- Squeeze bag

Today marked day 10 which meant I could then combine the batter with ingredients to make more starters and mix up my bread to bake.


Here's the recipe and instructions.

Day 10:  Combine in a large bowl:
The batter
1 cup Flour 
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Milk
Mix with a wooden spoon.  (I didn't have a wooden spoon so I picked up a nice sturdy one from the store earlier today).



After you've mixed well...put 1 cup starter batter into 4 ziploc bags.
Keep 1 starter for yourself
Give three to friends or family with a printed copy of the recipe/instructions. 




To the remaining 1 cup of batter in your bowl add the following:
1 cup vegetable oil
1 cup sugar
2 cups flour
1/2 cup milk
2 (3oz) packages of instant vanilla pudding
3 eggs
2 tsp cinnamon
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 cup raisins (optional)
1 cup nuts (optional)



Mix well, and pour into two greased (or 1 large) loaf pan.  Sprinkle with a cinnamon sugar mixture on top.  Bake on 325 degrees for 1 hour.  Since I used a large loaf pan I baked for 1 hour and 15 minutes.  



Let cool...



Slice and enjoy...



Yummy....it tastes like a cinnamon streusel cake.


No comments:

Post a Comment