January 30, 2011

Homemade Ice Cream

Many years ago my BFF, Kristen bought me an ice cream maker for my birthday. I'd always wanted one and finally got one but never used it till last night. I told Nate "Let's do something different and try to make ice cream". He was all for it and began planning out his recipe. I asked him what flavor of ice cream was he going to make and he said "Peach N' Pineapple". I thought it was weird, but figured that it actually might work together. Nate wanted to make it sort of like a top chef competition and wanted me to make a different kind. I decided to go with Peanut Butter Cup. Sounds good eh? :) We went to a late lunch at Firebirds, walked around World Market and then stopped off at bloom to pick up the ingredients we needed for our ice creams.

At bloom they had heavy cream and whole milk for 79 cents each b/c they expire in 3 days. We were excited to not pay full price. haha

As soon as we got home we made our ice cream. :)

Mixing the peanut butter and sugar.

Everything is mixed and I'm pouring it into the ice cream maker.

I bought the mini pb cups. Nate came up with the idea of unwrapping them and putting them on a plate and putting them in the freezer for a little while to make them hard.

Ready to go in the freezer. Nate's idea was perfect. Instead of getting mushy pb cups when chopped.....

The came out perfectly chopped. :) During the last 5 min of the mixing process you add in the candy. :)

I scooped out 2 perfect scoops and plated a masterpiece. haha (Even Nate thought my plating skills looked great)
How yummy does that look? :) And it taste great too. I didn't realize how easy making ice cream was. I can't wait to make more. I'm totally making blueberry and strawberry and I know this sounds really weird but I think I want to make asparagus one day too. :)

Nate choppin' his fruit. (Peaches N' Pineapples)

Nate mixing some juice in. :)
Nate pouring his mix into the ice cream maker.

Scoopin'!
MMMMMMMM The flavors together is amazing! Sooooo good! :)

Side by side....we both liked each one the same and thought we both won. We can't wait to make more. :)

In case you'd like to make some.......

Bonnie's Homemade Peanut Butter Cup recipe:

1 cup peanut butter
2/3 cup white sugar
1 cup, whole milk (well chilled)
2 cup heavy cream (well chilled)
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pb cups

In a bowl, combine peanut butter and sugar until smooth. Add the milk and blend until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Stir in heavy cream and vanilla. Turn ice cream maker on, pour mixture into machine and let mix for 25-30 min. Add the chopped candy during the last min. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. Put ice cream in an air tight container and freeze for about 2 hours. If you didn't have your ice cream machine bowl pre-frozen you will have to freeze your ice cream overnight. (yep...that's what I had to do...haha)


Nathan's Homemade Peach n' Pineapple Ice Cream recipe:

3/4 cup each of peaches n' pineapples (fresh, frozen or canned)
fruit juice (eyeball it)
1 cup white sugar
1 cup whole milk
2 cups heavy cream
2 tsp vanilla

Chop fruit, and then mix in a bowl with sugar till smooth. Mix the sugar in slowly...about 2 min. Then mix in milk and heavy cream and mix another 2 min. Then mix in vanilla and some fruit juices. Add to ice cream maker and let mix for 20-25 min. The ice cream will have a soft, creamy texture. Put ice cream in an air tight container and freeze for about 2 hours. If you didn't have your ice cream machine bowl pre-frozen you will have to freeze your ice cream overnight. (yep...we did it for this one too, but now we know for next time)

4 comments:

  1. I am crazy about ice cream. I always have a container of it in my freezer. Both of your ice creams sound fabulously delicious and they look so creamy. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog right now and I'd like to invite you to stop by and link your ice cream up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/01/sweets-for-saturday-2.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. yummy! we should have an ice cream making day and i can make some fossil hunt ice cream:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lisa thanks for your nice comment! And thanks for reading my blog. :) I've followed your blog too. I'll check out the link. Thanks!!

    @Ash thanks! Sounds like fun!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks so good! I might have to ask for an ice cream maker for my birthday.

    ReplyDelete